Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What do you do when your kid lies? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480895)

gbird1 01-12-2013 06:52 PM

What do you do when your kid lies?

My daughter is 5 1/2, it's happened a few times now... what are the consequences in YOUR house?

knodceo 01-12-2013 06:57 PM

Big lies or little ones?

Little ones, I actually make a bigger deal out of...my daughter just turned 5 and it makes me bonkers (I don't get the little white lies).

P!nkPepper 01-12-2013 07:06 PM

I'm perfect and my kids never lie...

Haha. I couldn't resist. We tried natural concequences, revoking privleges, explaining nobody would want to play with him, the story of the Little Boy that Cried Wolf... it didn't work but my son has behavior issues and he is different than most kids.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

gbird1 01-12-2013 07:12 PM

Re: What do you do when your kid lies?

Well, little ones I guess, but it could be big...lying about why her little brother is crying, I think she did something, I was out of the room for a minute. For the record, she is normally very careful with him (he's 2) but she does get agitated when he's being a "pest" and into the stuff she is playing with...I just want to nip it.

SaraElise 01-12-2013 08:08 PM

Depends on the situation, but basically times outs, privileges taken away, or a extra chore given, usually somewhat related to what the lie was about.

abunchoflemons 01-12-2013 08:10 PM

Look this subject up...lots of interest in this topic.

mommy2abigail 01-12-2013 09:23 PM

I talk to them about how lying breaks trust and how HARD it is to earn trust back once it is broken. And then I keep them shadowing me for a while until I feel they can be trusted. :thumbsup:

TalkinBoutMyGirl 01-13-2013 04:28 AM

The first time DD lied..she was almost 4 I believe..we had a discussion about what the truth was and what a lie was. She understood so now if she tells a lie, or something I believe is a lie, I ask her if that was a lie or the truth. If she says a lie then I tell her that we don't lie blah blah blah. I don't really punish for it quite yet since she rarely does it and it is something new she has to wrap her head around. I don't think she has really done it since the first time. At 5 I would probably punish since she should definietly know better. I'd probably do a time out as those rock DDs world lol or add a chore on or something like that. If it is a habitual thing then I'd up the consequence to something she REALLY didn't wanna do. I like some of the ideas onthis website. For example, when DD is whining I just say "outside" and she stops :) She stood outside on our fenced in porch for about 30 seconds one day (a warm January day..she got off too easy lol) and that was all it took. Good luck!

Leiiki 01-13-2013 07:30 AM

Try reading some books that show the consequences of lying in terms your child can understand. My favorite in this vein is "Sam, Bangs, and Moonshine" by Evaline Ness.

You local librarian should be able to direct you to appropriate books as well. "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" is another classic option.

MyKylie 01-13-2013 06:25 PM

Send them to their rooms for my 6 and 8 y/os