Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Flu Shot During Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480964)

triton77 01-12-2013 10:16 PM

Flu Shot During Pregnancy

I have an appt to go get the flu shot tomorrow but now I'm second guessing it. I'm almost 11wks pg and I don't usually get the shot but because of all the hype and the fact that half of my son's class is out sick I'm considering it.
Ugh any suggestions?? Get it or not
Thanks!

clothdipemama 01-12-2013 10:25 PM

Re: Flu Shot During Pregnancy

Lots of people will suggest getting it. I really think it's personal decision so I respect both sides of the argument. I personally would NOT get it while pregnant. I got one while I was very pregnant, maybe 8 1/2 months with ds. I didn't regret that one, but I got one when I was pregnant for the 3rd time and ended up miscarrying at 8 weeks. It just has me freaked out. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with getting the flu shot but I read controversial articles. Best of luck with your decision and congrats on your pregnancy :)

burnsis 01-12-2013 10:30 PM

nope....I was pregnant when the swine flu was all the rage. just took elderberry syrup, increased vit c and d intake, and no issues. dh got it, and was vaxed for both regular flu and swine flu. I would never get a flu shot, but esp. not while pregnant.

3 ladybugs 01-13-2013 09:06 AM

I am VERY pro vaccine. My son gets his vaccines early if not on time (got his Hep B early-ish and got his chicken pox a month early). However they would have to hit me over the head with a brick and put me in a coma before I would get any vaccine while pregnant. ESPECIALLY this year's flu vaccine. I firmly believe it doesn't work (this year). My son got the flu vaccine in August and he had the flu (at least all the symptoms they are saying the flu is this year) 2 weeks ago. He ended up handing it to me (11 weeks 3 days pregnant today) and I had it about 5 days after he got it. Thankfully this year's main strain isn't one that gives fevers.

So my :2cents: is not to get the vaccine. Good luck with your decision!

alyxmegan 01-13-2013 09:12 AM

I was wondering the same thing. I heard this years flew is really bad especially for pregnant woman. My mom (an LC and WIC nutritionist) said I should get it but it makes me uncomfortable.

babyrosie 01-13-2013 09:46 AM

I guess it depends on the risks/benefits for you. I am a RN in a large and very busy ER. I have had several patients with confirmed flu the past few months. The flu can be very dangerous for a pregnant woman and developing fetus. I discussed it thoroughly with my OB and got the vaccine (I was in my 2nd trimester) and made sure it was the vaccine without thirmesol. Good luck whatever you decide and congrats on the baby!

gigismomma 01-13-2013 09:56 AM

You'll have to weigh the risks/benefits and decide what you are most comfortable with. I have heard anecdotal evidence on both sides.......some have gotten the flu shot and suspect it may be to blame for their miscarriage. But I have seen the other side of it -- my cousin got the flu at 14 weeks pregnant. No matter what she did, she could not get her fever down. Her temp lingered around 103-104 for days (even at the hospital, they couldn't bring it down either). They discovered she lost the baby the day she was discharged from the hospital, and they suspect it was likely from the high sustained fever. Not everyone has problems with influenza, but it can definitely be serious.

thealmightyme 01-13-2013 10:09 AM

I always did. My docs seen to think it was necessary.

txmommytobe 01-13-2013 10:22 AM

I got it :) with the massive outbreak of the flu I would highly suggest it

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

mommajewels 01-13-2013 10:23 AM

Our family gets a flu shot every year. I've had it during all 6 of my pregnancies with no adverse reactions to me or baby. We haven't dealt with the flu in over 5 years, despite our school aged children being exposed to it through infected students on a frequent basis.. so I absolutely have faith in the flu shot. I refuse to believe we just got "lucky" in the fact that none of my children have ever suffered any consequences from me having the shot while pregnant with them.