Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Quick! cough and sore throat remedies (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1480993)

mrscompgeek 01-13-2013 05:13 AM

Quick! cough and sore throat remedies

my 3 year old and 1 year old are both sick with flu. The 1 year old isnt too bad but my 3 year old has a terrible cough and i think her throat hurts making the coughing that much more painful. We are on the 4th night of no sleep! mama needs rest!! We've tried honey straight, honey in tea, mucinex, dimetapp, advil, a natural type of vicks i made rubbed on her throat, chest, back and feet, eucalyptus oil in the humidifier. I don't know what else to try.

Adamsmama 01-13-2013 08:21 PM

Re: Quick! cough and sore throat remedies

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrscompgeek (Post 16151099)
my 3 year old and 1 year old are both sick with flu. The 1 year old isnt too bad but my 3 year old has a terrible cough and i think her throat hurts making the coughing that much more painful. We are on the 4th night of no sleep! mama needs rest!! We've tried honey straight, honey in tea, mucinex, dimetapp, advil, a natural type of vicks i made rubbed on her throat, chest, back and feet, eucalyptus oil in the humidifier. I don't know what else to try.

I've heard that Desylm works well for the cough that happens with influenza A. I didn't try it ... but many friends told me they used it. I will say that you might need to take your 3 yr old in to the dr. if you suspect a secondary infection. We ended up with secondary infections on top of the flu ... mostly bronchitis.

tallanvor 01-13-2013 09:13 PM

Traditional Medicinal makes a tea called Throat Coat that works well. They have a children's version, though I have given my kids a weak regular version (brew a cup, give them half mixed with water).

TWOGREENBEANS 01-13-2013 09:49 PM

Gargle with salt water - that helps sometimes too- Aside from that we use honey but sounds like that isn't working for you:(

Tina5834 01-13-2013 10:57 PM

I give my kids a spoonful of honey mixed with lemon. They say it works wonderfully.

ETA: I just read the whole thing. You tried honey! I'm at a loss. I would probably give Tylenol and make them some warm tea. Poor babies.

mrscompgeek 01-14-2013 03:20 AM

thanks ladies. I'm calling the dr tomorrow. this is night 5 of very little sleep and I'm so tired i could cry. nothing seems to help the girls.

danielle 01-14-2013 06:25 AM

Like a pp said, Throat Coat is a good tea, it feels good. I give the adult tea to my kids. We got the flu for Christmas and the tea helped. We also took ibuprofen and that helped.