Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   three year old suddenly wetting pants (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481001)

DalesWidda 01-13-2013 05:36 AM

three year old suddenly wetting pants

My 3.5 year old has been pottytrained for almost a year. She rarely has accidents and even then it's usually because she couldn't get her pants down in time. Lately (about the last week or two) she is constantly wetting her pants. She is still going to the bathroom but every time I help her wipe I notice her panties are soaked. And it's usually not just a dribble. They are totally soaked. I've talked to her about it, I've told her that she can't go to school if she is peeing in her undies. And that's not an empty threat. She goes to preschool twice a week and they must be pottytrained. If she is having accidents at school too frequently they will not let her come back. I am at my wits end!

MamaBink 01-13-2013 07:04 AM

Re: three year old suddenly wetting pants

Take her to the doc. It could be a UTI.

DalesWidda 01-13-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaBink (Post 16151322)
Take her to the doc. It could be a UTI.

Would she have any other symptoms though? I would expect pain and a fever. Maybe not?

Vivhop98 01-13-2013 07:19 AM

Did she just start preschool in the fall? My dd who will be 4 in march started preschool and has been having accidents again. I think her nerves are causing it. She has been potty trained for a year. I still think 3.5 is young and our preschool just has us bring an extra pair of clothes, if they have an accident. I wonder if telling her she can't go if she has an accident is makimg her more nervous?

DalesWidda 01-13-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivhop98 (Post 16151364)
Did she just start preschool in the fall? My dd who will be 4 in march started preschool and has been having accidents again. I think her nerves are causing it. She has been potty trained for a year. I still think 3.5 is young and our preschool just has us bring an extra pair of clothes, if they have an accident. I wonder if telling her she can't go if she has an accident is makimg her more nervous?

ugh, good point. Now I feel bad. :blush: I'll lay off her and see what happens.

luvsviola 01-13-2013 11:02 AM

DS turns 4 in April, and started doing the same thing. Except its more like once a day. He says he was playing and didn't want to stop. I think some of it is the age. A friend's daughter did the same thing.

aaiya 01-13-2013 11:12 AM

I second checking for a UTI. My MIL likes to tell about when one of my husband's sisters was about 3 or so and all of a sudden started peeing all over the place. MIL was SURE it was a power struggle....until she got it checked out and learned it really was a UTI (then, of course, she felt bad).

MavericksMama 01-13-2013 12:16 PM

When my daughter was 3, I asked my son's pediatrician about accidents, because my daughter was potty trained completely via EC at 7 months, so it was insane that she was having accidents at 3!! I asked if it was possibly a UTI, and she said "I can almost guarantee she is constipated." Sure enough, she was. I started giving her fiber gummies on a regular basis, and the accidents stopped within a week.

Oh, and I suppose I should explain-- if the colon is full, it will put excess pressure on the bladder, causing accidents.

Vivhop98 01-13-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DalesWidda (Post 16151453)
ugh, good point. Now I feel bad. :blush: I'll lay off her and see what happens.

:goodvibes: don't feel bad! I think that is why we ask so we can get others opinions of what might be going on! I was actually frustrated with my daughter and my friend said the same thing to me. I just remind her to try to make it to the potty, but I have also been having her help clean up, which I think is reasonable.

Adamsmama 01-13-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavericksMama (Post 16152258)
When my daughter was 3, I asked my son's pediatrician about accidents, because my daughter was potty trained completely via EC at 7 months, so it was insane that she was having accidents at 3!! I asked if it was possibly a UTI, and she said "I can almost guarantee she is constipated." Sure enough, she was. I started giving her fiber gummies on a regular basis, and the accidents stopped within a week.

Oh, and I suppose I should explain-- if the colon is full, it will put excess pressure on the bladder, causing accidents.

I was going to say this as well. Happened to our 3 yr old ... my dr. told me to use miralax and it did work ... took a few days and no more problems.