Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Toddler and nipple shield (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481015)

hilaryisinked 01-13-2013 07:54 AM

Toddler and nipple shield

It's this or we wean. I have a gigantic gash under my right nipple that causes excruciating pain while nursing. I stopped nursing on that side and am so ridiculously engorged. I pumped and bled heavily. I expressed in the shower but it didn't help. I put two coats of liquid band aid in attempt to protect it and pump just enough to relieve engorgement but the wetness and friction peeled it off and I bled. Our last hope is tons of lanolin plus nipple shield. I don't own one though so before I go buy one, is a 13 month old who has never used one going to even accept it? I'm not opposed to weaning. My DD2 gnaws on me constantly and that's most likely where this gash came from. I'm tempted to go buy Sudafed and dry it all up but thought we'd give this one last effort. Do you think a 13 month old will nurse with a nipple shield?

l_Kimmie_l 01-13-2013 08:00 AM

Re: Toddler and nipple shield

Ouch - I would give it a shot. It cannot be any worse than what you have already gone through. I had one of those with DS3 and had to start exclusively pumping ( he was 9 months old). It bled and bled.

hilaryisinked 01-13-2013 10:10 AM

Tried it and she wouldn't have anything to do with it. Weaning it is. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

l_Kimmie_l 01-13-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilaryisinked (Post 16151826)
Tried it and she wouldn't have anything to do with it. Weaning it is. Sigh.

So sorry Momma! But you did great! I would do the same thing if it were me.

hilaryisinked 01-17-2013 01:48 PM

Thought I would update to say we are back nursing and my cut is almost gone! I was finally able to pump without pain by slathering aquaphor on prior. So we started nursing on one side and pumping the other. My cut got smaller and smaller until I was able to nurse her without pain. We are so happy!

l_Kimmie_l 01-17-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilaryisinked (Post 16171230)
Thought I would update to say we are back nursing and my cut is almost gone! I was finally able to pump without pain by slathering aquaphor on prior. So we started nursing on one side and pumping the other. My cut got smaller and smaller until I was able to nurse her without pain. We are so happy!

This is great news!!! Congrats!!

Mayghan 01-18-2013 04:55 AM

I had that happen with a 1 month old, I could still pump though but it wasnt healing while using dr jacks cream, after 3 weeks I started soaking my nipple in salt water 3-4 times a day and it healed really quickly!

angelaw 01-19-2013 12:52 PM

We had this same issue. DS is 18 months and I ended up going to the doctor because I had all these slashes on my nipples. I guess I had some sort of yeast problems. Two days of applying nystatin everything was great!

crunchymom2b 01-21-2013 07:45 AM

Great news Hilary!!! My friend had a similar problem and he would have nothing to do with the shield either.