Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   s/o Why do you want your kids to have CP (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481016)

Fairycat 01-13-2013 07:56 AM

s/o Why do you want your kids to have CP

No debate, just curious why people want their kids to get Chicken Pox?

FindingMercy 01-13-2013 08:05 AM

Re: s/o Why do you want your kids to have CP

I see chicken pox as a childhood illness. It's safest to get it as a child. So, I wanted my kids to get it (my girls got it unintentionally, son hasn't had them yet). I wanted them to have immunity to CP when they were teens and adults, but did not want them to have the vaccine.

Fairycat 01-13-2013 08:08 AM

But doesn't that leave them to get shingles in the future?

I ask because I never had them, and am pretty happy about that because I don't have to worry about Shingles, which I hear is awful, so I was just curious why some people seek it out to expose their kids.

l_Kimmie_l 01-13-2013 08:56 AM

Because I do not want my kids to be 24 like I was when I got them. They are worse in adults. I was naturally immune as a child and obviously out grew it. I rather my kids get it while young. Most people do not get shingles. It is most common in immunosuppressed persons and those with stress who got CP before a year old.

l_Kimmie_l 01-13-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairycat (Post 16151478)
But doesn't that leave them to get shingles in the future?

I ask because I never had them, and am pretty happy about that because I don't have to worry about Shingles, which I hear is awful, so I was just curious why some people seek it out to expose their kids.

Beware you can get CP and it sucks as an adult. I had it.

AHASRADA 01-13-2013 09:23 AM

I had it when I was 12, and it was miserable, missed more than a week of school, had scarring, etc. My mom was always worried, if I hadn't gotten it when I did, I could have gotten it as an adult, particularly while pregnant, which would have been dangerous.

I was so happy when my son caught it at age 2 1/2. He had enough bumps to be a full-blown case, but it only lasted about 3 days, not a huge deal (and nothing compared to my case at 12). By the time my dds were born, the vaccine had become routine so they just took the shot. Those who are opposed to the vaccine want their kids to catch chicken pox to get it overwith while they are young enough for an extreme case to be rare.

As for shingles, there is a new vaccine for that as well (for adults who have had chicken pox or the vaccine).

nonipie 01-13-2013 09:26 AM

I got CP as an adult and while not pleasant, it was not the worst thing ever as I had been led to believe. My DS got it shortly after and his case was far worse than mine. I have no desire to intentionally expose them. Now my father had Shingles it was the awful, awful and he suffered for months actually. Those are just my personal experiences. None of my children have had the vaccine because oldest had CP, youngest is too young and we have not decided what to do with DD.

Art mama 01-13-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FindingMercy
I see chicken pox as a childhood illness. It's safest to get it as a child. So, I wanted my kids to get it (my girls got it unintentionally, son hasn't had them yet). I wanted them to have immunity to CP when they were teens and adults, but did not want them to have the vaccine.

This. Now I'm just concerned they won't get exposed since do many kids are vaxed for it.

escapethevillage 01-13-2013 09:34 AM

I exposed my daughter to the chicken pox when she was a toddler. (her cousin had it) The chicken Pox vaccine was just coming out, and most kids weren't getting it yet. So, I declined it.

But, if by school age she hadn't been exposed to CP, I'd have probably had her get the vaccine. Maybe not until 2nd or 3rd grade, but I wouldn't take the chance of having her get it as an adult.

I had all my daycare kids get CP every two to four years until about 12 years ago. But, the last time, one of the kids got incredibly sick with them, and ended up with serious skin infections. All the pox in her diaper area, and on her lips turned into large yellow scabs that kept getting bigger. She still has scars around her mouth that look like she was burned. So, I feel really bad for allowing her to be exposed like that. (she was the last kid to get them in my group)

Fairycat 01-13-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonipie (Post 16151688)
I got CP as an adult and while not pleasant, it was not the worst thing ever as I had been led to believe. My DS got it shortly after and his case was far worse than mine. I have no desire to intentionally expose them. Now my father had Shingles it was the awful, awful and he suffered for months actually. Those are just my personal experiences. None of my children have had the vaccine because oldest had CP, youngest is too young and we have not decided what to do with DD.

See this is were I come from and why I am confused a bit, since my experience is different from many peoples. I of course have not gotten them, but I am pretty unlikely to get them while pregnant since I am closing in on 40 and most likely will not have another child and I am getting to the age were many people I know have had shingles, thank goodness mostly long distance friends ;). I have a friend who has been a teacher for over twenty years, she never had CP as a child, but had CP finally after years of testing immune about 10 years into her career with elementary school kids, she figured their germs just beat her immunity down. She said they weren't fun but no big deal. About 8 years later she got Shingles and said it was the most horrible thing ever!

It's funny I somehow got in this conversation one night with a whole group of about 15 adults aged 24-65, one had the vaccine, myself never had either, two had adult CP, the rest had childhood CP and about 5 or 6 had, had Shingles. It was very interesting.

I currently live in a country without scheduled CP vaccine, so honestly I worry a bit more, and this is another reason why I ask. Thanks!