Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Frustrated 9 month old - Advise Please (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481020)

l_Kimmie_l 01-13-2013 09:27 AM

Frustrated 9 month old - Advise Please

My 9 month old is very frustrated. He wants to be down on the floor free to crawl where he wants and pull himself up on what he wants. My issue is this is not safe. I have a toy that can be sat in that will allow him to play, but he wants to be on the outside where I have to sit on top of him.

He has an extra large playpen, but wants to be on the floor and crawl into his brother's room where it is not safe or the stairs. Right now he is crying in the seat as I do not know what to do. He cries when I hold him too as he wants down. I am at a loss. I do not want to spend hours on the floor watching him climb the toy that he could sit in and do the same thing.

I just put him on a boobie for the millionth time today. Is there a growth spurt I am forgetting? More teeth? Advice please!!!!

Kätzchen 01-13-2013 09:56 AM

Take away the toy? Take it out when you can sit with him?

l_Kimmie_l 01-13-2013 10:00 AM

Re: Frustrated 9 month old - Advise Please

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kätzchen (Post 16151603)
Take away the toy? Take it out when you can sit with him?

I wish I could. It is a large sit in exasaucer toy that has its only "spot" in our living room. We have no other place to store it in our home.

PerfectFifth 01-13-2013 10:05 AM

Is it small enough to put up on a couch or table while he's on the floor?

l_Kimmie_l 01-13-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerfectFifth (Post 16151633)
Is it small enough to put up on a couch or table while he's on the floor?

No - it is huge. Not to mention there is usually 2 toddler on the couch with daddy most of the time. Our living room is much smaller than I like. Plus when he is down, he crawls off to the stairs and to his brother's room. I would have to literally follow him every where, which is why we have a huge play pen out here. Gives him a place that is safe to crawl in, play, and pull himself up. He would just rather be on the floor.

mibarra 01-13-2013 10:32 AM

Can you gate off the stairs and brothers room?

l_Kimmie_l 01-13-2013 10:37 AM

Yes, I could do that. But then he would clime the TV stand. THe living room is not a really safe place for him to be roaming free. I would like to keep him more confined due to the hard wood floors. I do not want to have to sit on the floor with him the whole time he is down playing to protect him from hurting himself. PUlling himself up is his new thing.

The time he is down also allows me to tospend some time with my 3 and 4 year olds who have been wanting my attention and get a bit done around the house. It also allows me time with my 15 yr old to see how his day was and do home work.

bluedaisyma 01-13-2013 02:49 PM

Mine would never stand for being confined, honestly. I just chase the 7mo old, gate the stairs and sit on the floor with him a lot. He also likes to pull himself up and stand between my legs so I'm stuck there, lol. When I'm playing with the 2 yr old, we just involve him and if I need to do something and no one else can watch him, I throw him on my back in a carrier. I'm constantly removing things from his mouth, grasp and reach, but he is learning and exploring.

EmilytheStrange 01-13-2013 02:54 PM

Very normal - it's a developmental issue - he needs to be allowed to crawl and pull up on things.

I would gate off the stairs and big brother's room and I'd tell him not to climb the entertainment center until he understood. It will be a lot of work for a day or so, but once he understands, then things should be fine.

My child did not agree to being confined and it's normal because at 9months, most babies are working on gross motor development and need the time and space to practice. Just think that really, you will have to teach him not to climb that now anyways, even if you could find a way to confine him for another month or so, it won't be long before it'd be impossible again.

l_Kimmie_l 01-13-2013 02:59 PM

Guess it is time for me to suck it up buttercup ...LOL!