Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   PNP/Sleep Issue Question - Advise (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481034)

l_Kimmie_l 01-13-2013 09:33 AM

PNP/Sleep Issue Question - Advise

My 9 month old is now waking once per night to play for 2 plus hours. I would like to sleep. He would play on his own if I had a safe place for him to do so. We cosleep and his crib is side carred to the bed. This means I cannot put him in his crib safely now that he can crawl and pull himself up on his own. I have to stay awake and pull him back on the bed and keep him from falling, etc.

I was thinking I have a pack n play that we have packed away (I have 2). I was thinking I could put this at the end of our bed with toys in it. That way when he wakes at night he could safely go in here and do his will till he gets retired again. That will allow me to put my pillow at the end of the bed and snooze while he plays. Does this sound reasonable? I have tried putting him on a boob, forcing him to lay back down, and not allowing him to climb, but nothing has worked. He simply is awake and not tired. He does not cry to be held or anything. He just wants to play for a bit.

WWYD or advice?

escapethevillage 01-13-2013 09:38 AM

Re: PNP/Sleep Issue Question - Advise

I would do that. It's nice that he will play by himself like that.

If you have a really safe place on the floor next to you that you can gate off, you could do that too. But, with his own sidecar crib, and being winter (I would imagine the floors are cold) I think the pack n Play would be the best option.

l_Kimmie_l 01-13-2013 09:46 AM

I am lucky he will play on his own for a bit. He is really good at it. That is why I get so frustrated with the 1 1/2- 2 1/2 hours in the dead of night he is up. He would be more than happy to play, climb, and chew than nurse or play with me. Since he could obviously crawl off the bed or climb up something and fall over (his crib rail or our head/foot board) I cannot drift in and out till he is ready to cry for a booby to go back to sleep.

EmilytheStrange 01-13-2013 01:50 PM

Sounds like the very normal 9 month sleep regression where they wake up to work on their new skills.

The pack and play solution sounds just fine.

l_Kimmie_l 01-13-2013 01:53 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh - so there is a 9 month old "thing" that happens? I knew it had to be something.

l_Kimmie_l 01-14-2013 07:42 AM

He woke a couple of times last night, I put him in the PNP. He fussed a bit, but he was safe. When he got really fussy I picked him up and put him on the boob and he went back to sleep. I didn't sleep as he fussed while in there - I am sure he has to get used to it - but did get to lay down and rest while he played.

UVASahm 01-14-2013 07:48 AM

Yay! That is success! Hopefully he'll be used to it in a few nights.

l_Kimmie_l 01-14-2013 07:53 AM

Yes, it was pretty successful. He likes to wake and play and that is the last thing I want to do at 3 AM...LOL! This allows him to do what he needs to safely. I think soon we will have to put a gate up at the stairs. Once he can safely get on and off the bed I will need to make sure he cannot get to the stairs.