Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   What do I do with toys? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481096)

2wonderfulboys 01-13-2013 01:00 PM

What do I do with toys?

I need to go through my kids toys. Lots of things don't get played with and are just taking up space (making a mess). Some of these toys are like new, hardly played with. Part of me wants to pack them up and take them to a cosignment shop, because after all the extra $ isn't a bad thing. The other part of me just wants them gone, off to GW. I am currently pregnant and trying to declutter/reorganize before baby gets here. I am just so overwhelmed with everything, and my mess keeps growing! What do you ladies do with toys that your getting rid of? Also putting them in a box and swapping them out is not an option. We don't have enough storage spaced for things as it is.

tallanvor 01-13-2013 01:41 PM

Re: What do I do with toys?

A few things go to friends or family that I know would like them, but most get donated. I have never taken any to a consignment shop, as they always have so many toys when we go. I rarely have anything that's worth the time and effort of selling. I think the only thing I've ever sold were the wooden play kitchen and my son's old wooden train collection.

wordbox 01-13-2013 01:53 PM

I donate it all, just to avoid the hassle. Unless I could easily sell it and get my money's worth (or it was a high dollar item) I prefer just to let it go and get it out of the house.

I like to imagine someone shopping at Goodwill and being excited to find something nice. :)

moonlightblonde 01-13-2013 02:14 PM

Yep, just donate toys here too.

leadmare 01-14-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wordbox (Post 16152650)
I donate it all, just to avoid the hassle. Unless I could easily sell it and get my money's worth (or it was a high dollar item) I prefer just to let it go and get it out of the house.

I like to imagine someone shopping at Goodwill and being excited to find something nice. :)

Me too

divabeadz 01-14-2013 11:31 AM

Yep, just donate here unless it's a very big ticket item, then I might consider going to a consignment store. Could you get rid of some of their well-used toys and put those hardly used items in a central place so they'll be more inclined to use those thus allowing you to part with some things that have already been used plenty?

TalkinBoutMyGirl 01-14-2013 12:48 PM

I donate most stuff we get rid of but I did something different with the toys. I bagged them up in huge garbage bags and placed an ad on CL. I sold them all for $20 and I had someone here at my house in an hour. 4 bags gone and I made some money.

ZnBmama 01-15-2013 09:01 AM

I'm in the process of adding to a huge donate box, I found trying to take the time to weed out to resell made me less motivated.

marliah 01-15-2013 09:13 AM

We just donate them to get them out of the house ASAP. Cause toys that are unplayed with and are found near the door in a box become instant "favorites" for some reason lol.

leadmare 01-15-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marliah (Post 16160341)
We just donate them to get them out of the house ASAP. Cause toys that are unplayed with and are found near the door in a box become instant "favorites" for some reason lol.

Ha ha ha! A few years ago I was trying to help my mom clean up and purge junk, and I had to sneak things out in black trash bags. My younger sisters, who were teenagers, were somehow SUPER attached to old barbies they hadn't played with in ten years, and toddler size clothing. It was kind of weird... But also kinda funny when I got over my frustration.