Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Care to share your Hospital bag and Kiddos bag list? LONG (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481132)

AmeliasMum 01-13-2013 02:31 PM

Care to share your Hospital bag and Kiddos bag list? LONG

Yup, after much thought and prayer, DH and I are now on the road to our second Hospital birth out of 4. This wee little boy in utero has some sort of Renal pelvis/kidney issues that seem to be getting worse and enlarging, as opposed to improving. We have NO idea what the prognosis is, or what the final diagnosis will even be, since not a single OB or Dr has called me about it. My Nurse called me on her break, on her cell, from her car. I requested my records, and am missing at least 6 pages. I got modified Radiology reports stating follow up scans should be done every 2 weeks. My practice has me down for every 4-6 weeks, and even then no one calls me except my Nurse. So I am now in the process of acquiring not only a second opinion, but a new OB. Everything else looks great. He is measuring way ahead, has no other markers of anything, and is super active.

I feel like some bigger being, or element, whathaveyou, is telling me to submit to a Hospital delivery. Which for some reason I am at peace with, even though it will have to be an induction, since I am 2+ hours from the hospital and have labors that last under 4 hours. My last was born in the hospital, but it was a horrid experience, and my DH was in ND while I was in CA. The HUGE upside this time is, we are both here in ND. Double edged sword of sorts, bad medical care thus far, but he is running defense for me, and can speak for me when I can't and knows what I want and don't.

This is the first time I will actually have to chance to pack a bag for myself, DH and my kiddos. The hospital is family friendly, and the suites are set up for family to stay and each has a whirlpool tub, sep. sitting area for computers and TV and such. What did you HAVE to have, vs not used at all. What did you wish you had brought for you or your Family? How many changes of clothing, NB items and such. I am ordering a few Pretty Pusher gowns that I can toss or wash after, not a big deal either way. I am tall and very thin, and I was swimming in the dingy hospital gowns last time. Plus, hey, ANY chance to shop, right? :mrgreen: I am thinking about buying some eco friendly sposies along with taking my CD's. Please, share any and all advice. I am trying not to focus on what might be negatives right now, not until I can get a more concrete diagnosis, or ANY at this point.

TinaDeanette 01-13-2013 03:44 PM

Change of clothes. Clothes for baby. Brush, makeup, and toothpaste/toothbrush. That's it.

ETA: phone charger

RunawayBunny 01-13-2013 07:16 PM

Lounge/pjs for post-birth. Going hone clothes for baby and mama. Toiletries, phone charger, chap stick (i had to have an oxygen mask and chap stick was so wonderful), medical paperwork (medical power of attorney?). Baby book if you keep one- you can ask them to stamp baby's foot right in the book when they do their copy.

Things i will pack for my dh/mom: cameras and chargers. Laptop and charger.

lynn97 01-13-2013 11:45 PM

Lounge clothes for you, going home clothes for you and baby, toothpaste & toothbrush, deodorant, soap/shower goodies (I brought nice ones and was so glad I did - after a 26-hour long labor and a 24 postpartum wait to shower, I was ridiculously excited to get clean). Brush & hair ties, Chapstick, sugar-free candy to suck on, books or iPad for labor and camera and cell phones plus chargers. I think that was about it...I won't pack much makeup or primping stuff b/c I didn't use it the last time. I really just didn't feel well and didn't care how I looked. I don't see it being different this time.

Wait - I also will bring Soothies the next time. Technically, lactation offered them but they were oddly stingy with them and they were expensive through the hospital. I will bring my own next time. I just use the hospital sposies in the baby and don't worry about cloth until I get home.

Re: your older kiddos, I have no idea. I didn't know some hospitals offered family suites. That sounds really nice.

I hope you can find an OB that will work with you and that you can have a positive experience with. I also hope that your delivery goes well and that your LO is healthy. Best wishes!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

AniMommy 01-14-2013 12:25 AM

Make sure to pack a separate bag from DH. We took one bag and he took home all of my stuff after the baby was born. I really wanted some clean pjs and had to wait for him to come back.

My own pillow. What a difference.

Birkenstocks or flip flops/slides and socks. You might be doing a lot of walking. Who wants bare feet at a hospital?

Nursing bra, if you're going to bf.

After baby loungewear/pjs that you don't care too much about.

Going home clothes for you. I brought my mat. clothes and they just fit horribly. A rubber band around a flabby belly. I would have rather had sweats or other elastic waisted pAnts.

A couple of changes of clothes for baby but not a lot but bring something warmer than you think you'll need. The hospital will swaddle and provide hat.

They also provide disposables. It's only a couple days. Do you really want to deal with nb poo dipes in your room without a way to clean them, but maybe that's me.

Maybe earplugs? I found it really hard to rest afterwards. Hospitals are noisy.

I found most aspects of the hospital stay better than expected.

wyoming butterfly 01-14-2013 12:53 AM

I found a skirt to be more comfortable for post partum

norrahsmommy 01-14-2013 10:04 AM

Baby's bag- sleep sacks, couple of onsies, socks, coming home diaper and outfit.

My bag- comfy clothes 3 changes (c-section so I will be there 2-3 days, panties, socks, shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, shower gel, contact solution, brush, toothbrush, paste, pads, batteries, chargers camera, ect.