Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481167)

croark 01-13-2013 05:14 PM

HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

Halfway through the month! Seems like it's flying. Really happy with our progress so far. Looking forward to tomorrow to get back at it.

tallanvor 01-13-2013 07:45 PM

Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

We struggled last week with getting back on track after 2 weeks of break. Hopefully this week will go better. Tuesday we won't be doing school work, aside from a possible science video. I have an eye appointment on base, the older two should be getting their glasses, and we have to do our grocery shopping, since we'll already be down on base.

Mysweetseven 01-14-2013 07:23 AM

We started out last week great, by the end of the week we were slacking. We met with our adviser on Tuesday and she made a few suggestions as well to help DS with his reading. She thought that if we used the 100 Easy Lessons it would make a world of difference and that it wouldn't take him long at all to get through the book, he flies through sight words and such but struggles putting it all together fluently. Has anyone used this? She was very encouraging though, she thought that he would be up to grade level on everything as soon as he gets over this bump in the road, that the reading issue is really holding him back on everything a bit.

DD is doing good, she is very self motivated. I need to write a schedule for her to so she can continue on throughout the day without my help as much if I get busy with the littles.

We have also been doing some BFIAR and other "fun" school things with antother DS (5yrs) but I had planned on adding in some more formal school stuff after the first of the year. I can't decided if I want to do Letter of the Week or follow the ETC series, I really need to decide though soon.

Hoping everyone has a great week!!

HeatherlovesCDs 01-14-2013 08:34 AM

:wave: Hi Everyone!

I was an active part of this thread when it started. Then, I had a baby, the holidays and now we've been sick for a while now. Keeping up was too much. But, I missed it. So, I'm back. :giggle:

For those who don't know, I have a 1st grader (7 year old) doing My Father's World First and Singapore Math. I also have 5 year old twins who will be starting My Father's World K in the next few weeks. And always derailing our efforts, I also have 2.5 year old twins and my baby is 3 months. :)

We've had a rough couple of months. I ended up taking off a lot in December, not really because of Christmas, just because of life. Then, we've been sick basically since Christmas at this point. We got the flue just before Christmas, had to cancel all our Christmas plans :(, it took it's time getting through all 8 of us and now we have had a stomach virus going through the family for over a week now. Ugh! Two people still haven't gotten it. My oldest was still a little sick yesterday, but he is fine so far today. I really hope it's done, but we will see.

As far as HS'ing goes, we are planning to get everything done today, but we'll see. I'm currently trying to decide if I'm going to upgrade my K manual. MFW came out with a second edition K toward the end of our K year. I wanted to trade up immediately, but it wasn't worth it with only a third of the curriculum left. Now, I'm going to be using it for my 5 year old twins very soon. But, I'm not planning to do everything, mostly only the phonics. I'm just not sure it's worth the $45. Decisions, decisions. *sigh*

I'm starting to feel a little discouraged because we started out the year way "ahead." We are year round HS'ers. There isn't really an ahead or behind, but I would like to finish first this spring, in May or so. Now, because of all the illness and taking more time off before the baby than I thought, we are falling behind. It doesn't matter that much. As long as we start 2nd by Sept, I'll be fine, but I wanted to start sooner or have time in between to work on reading more since my son is a reluctant/slow reader. Oh well. All we can do is keep plugging ahead.

Hope everyone has a great week!!

Jen's_4 01-14-2013 01:25 PM

I feel like we accomplished a lot this morning. Keegan did his reading stuff, then we learned about the tower of Babel and they did their Bible readers and Bible notebooks. We did some graphing, some signing, books of the Bible and a Magic Tree House read-a-loud. We also learned a bit about tornados.

Kennah (3) can say her books of the Bible up through Lamentations...she has no idea what she's talking about, but it's kind of cute to listen to her rattle off the big words, lol.

ETA: Welcome back Heather! Hope you and the kiddos are adjusting well to the new addition.

HeatherlovesCDs 01-14-2013 02:03 PM

Thanks Jen! I was going to ask what day you are on, but then you said you read about "The Tall Tower" today. :giggle: We just started reading about Joseph, which is day 79 (I think). My kids can do most of the books we have learned in order. My 2.5 year olds try to join in too. A few days ago, I looked up an OT Bible books song on youtube to teach them because they are starting to get a little tripped up since it's so many. It's a awesome version of the song that my kids are loving. We have been listening to it and singing along when we talk about the book for the day. It's a fun change. In case you are interested, here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ZtWRSCH7E The poster is working on the NT to add. We can't wait. (It just started playing as I went to copy the link and my kids all ran over. :giggle:) Mine also just learned all the NT books for AWANA. Well, for Zack's Sparks. The others just tagged along and learned too. Gotta love that!!

thirdtimemomma 01-14-2013 05:42 PM

Hi ladies...

Heather, we are always behind...but it doesn't take long to catch up. Daily progress is my goal. :)

We had a rough day. Didn't start till after lunch and will finish our RAs after dinner. Oh well. Mondays are hard. :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

Britches~in~Stitches 01-14-2013 06:49 PM

Horrible day here. Introduced the social studies portion to dd today, and we had a lovely freak-out fest:blush::banghead:. Oh well, there's always tomorrow, right?

HeatherlovesCDs- We are the same way here. We were ahead since we started in June, but we've fallen behind with teething baby keeping me up all night. I keep saying it will get better when baby is older...presumably, and only if we don't have more babies soon. Otherwise it will just be different lol.

croark 01-14-2013 09:44 PM

Good day for us. I feel there's something missing in the writing department. I need a guide of some sort for creative writing. So I'm about to look into Writing Strands and other writing programs.
I also feel it's time for something more in depth for oldest DD. Just can't make up my mind on what to go with.

I felt tired today. I think lovely PMS week is kicking in. I drag so bad during that week :-(
So our progress may slow down a bit this week. I foresee lots of school on the couch with blankets.

We also had a Girl Scouts meeting today. It was fun. At least for the Daisy.

thirdtimemomma 01-14-2013 11:07 PM

We use writing strands starting in third grade with book 2. Book 3 is self guided and really cute. My DD likes it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum