Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   When did your DD start wearing a bra? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481302)

momgoddesswife 01-14-2013 05:26 AM

When did your DD start wearing a bra?

Our daughter is almost 8 and I noticed the other day that she is getting breasts. I'm wondering if I should get her some bra's, I can't for the life of me remember what age I got mine. I can remember my special trip to the store with my Mom to get them but I don't remember what grade I was in.

So what age did your DD get her first bra? Should I go out with her to get one?

I can't believe my baby is going to need a bra soon, where did the time go. :cry:

knodceo 01-14-2013 05:34 AM

I don't have a kiddo ready for a bra yet but if your daughter has "buds" then go and get her a sports bra or something similar so she can get used to it.

8 does seem young...I was in 6th grade when I started to develop. (Late bloomer).

Minniebees 01-14-2013 05:38 AM

Re: When did your DD start wearing a bra?

I was in 6th grade also. I think that used to be very average and not late. Isn't the average onset of menstruation about 13.5, or used to be for my generation (I'm mid 30's), so growing breast buds at 11 would be average also, since menstruation occurs 2 years after breast bud development.

Which is another thing to think about, your dd may start menstruating at age 10.

My dd is 10, but nothing yet. She's super skinny, though, and dh and I weren't exactly early in the puberty department. I would expect it in the next year some time. I'm dreading puberty, because we need to make some decisions about birth control for her, and nothing is a great option for teenagers. :banghead:

momgoddesswife 01-14-2013 05:44 AM

So probably a little early then. Maybe it was the shirt she was wearing it was a slinky tighter type shirt.

She's not skinny but she's not overweight either just average for her age. She's quite tall though and has been on meds since she was 8 months old for her epilepsy I'm wondering if her meds might make her go through puberty sooner. :headscratch:

Minniebees 01-14-2013 05:47 AM

I don't know anything about epilepsy meds, but kids are going through puberty earlier, even the thin ones.

My dd is thin and super tall. She's probably approaching 5 foot tall now, and wear a size 7.5 shoe, which she is outgrowing. I wear a 7.5. :thud: Her BMI is only 13, though.

ulawolf 01-14-2013 06:20 AM

Both my older dds started wearing padded bras by 9/10. They both developed early. My first dd asked for a padded bra because it made her self contious for people to be able to see her buds through a tshirt bra and regular tshirt. Not pushup bras but lightly padded bras.

momgoddesswife 01-14-2013 06:31 AM

Okay so I'm thinking I'll get her a sports bra/ undershirt tank style one and have her start there. It would probably be good for her to start getting used to wearing something under her shirts anyway.

I can also pretend she's not actually wearing a bra yet. :giggle:

abunchoflemons 01-14-2013 06:51 AM

W got mine some as she said she felt self conscious. Mom bought like a ton and sometimes she doesn't even wear them now.I started my period on eighth birthday.......

marliah 01-14-2013 07:06 AM

I'm just gonna throw this out there, but have you ever wondered if bras are even necessary?

http://www.brafree.org/

I haven't worn in in over a year ;)

tallanvor 01-14-2013 07:29 AM

My daughter got training bras at 9, and just got regular bras a few months ago at just 12. She also started her cycle at 19, which shocked me. She is so thin, I didn't expect her to start so early. She's 5'4" and weighs just over 100 lbs.