Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weaning Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   how do i wean a 23 month old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481347)

corinne76 01-14-2013 08:56 AM

Ds is driving me batty. From about 2am, he starts waking up hourly. He also plays with my nipples, touches them, pinches them . I cant take it anymore. But I'm not even sure where to begin with weaning. He's so boob dependent. Sorry, i just got up and I'm deliriously tired still. Pls help

MamaHare 01-14-2013 09:22 AM

Hugs, mama! When yds was that age, he became more and more dependent on nursing through the night, too. In my case, hubby helped out for a few nights - we planned around his work schedule, as he seems to NEED sleep more than I do. He took over the night wakings and we pretended I was unavailable. I heard him tell ds that mommy can't come upstairs now. Just go back to sleep and you can see her in the morning. He rubbed his back in bed or walked him around in the ergo. It didn't take long.

After about 3 nights, he didn't wake up so often, and I started to put him back to sleep without nursing. He wanted to, but I told him no. :( I asked if he was thirsty and had a water sippy cup for him. It was hard to make myself turn him down, but it really didn't take long until he started sleeping through the night. Ahhh, sleep.

corinne76 01-14-2013 10:07 AM

Thanks. After some coffee i realized i should have mentioned we cosleep so that,makes it even harder.

MamaHare 01-14-2013 11:24 AM

Oh.

Well, that would make things harder - lol

Hope you get some advice to help you, mama.

Around that age, my kids started understanding daylight/dark schedules and rules. Think he could respond if you try to establishing bfing only when the sun is up?

Wear a sport bra to bed to keep your nipples off limits? (nipple play started to bug the crap out of me too).

Shimpie 01-14-2013 03:40 PM

Re: how do i wean a 23 month old?

You could start with night weaning. Around 22 months, I told DD that nursing was only for daytime and my boobs were off limits at night. She cried for the first few nights. It was heart wrenching and it took soooooo much longer for her to fall asleep, but she eventually figured it out and night weaned. You also have to be consistent. A few months ago, DD got sick and was also teething, so I caved and now she's nursing at night again. Sigh....I have to start over.

corinne76 01-14-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimpie
You could start with night weaning. Around 22 months, I told DD that nursing was only for daytime and my boobs were off limits at night. She cried for the first few nights. It was heart wrenching and it took soooooo much longer for her to fall asleep, but she eventually figured it out and night weaned. You also have to be consistent. A few months ago, DD got sick and was also teething, so I caved and now she's nursing at night again. Sigh....I have to start over.

Do you cosleep? So when she wakes at night you just do nothing? Give water? I'd love it if he didn't nurse at night lol. I neeeed sleep!

Shimpie 01-14-2013 10:47 PM

Yes, we cosleep. When she woke up, I offered water in a straw cup with a bite valve. For some reason, dd really likes bite valve straws when she can't nurse. I reassured her that mama was here, but there was no boob at night. First few nights she cried for nearly half an hour before she fell asleep. Then she got the message and would complain and cry briefly. It was very surprising when she night weaned. She would ask to nurse, but I'd remind her "No boob at night", and she would matter of factly reply, "okay", roll over and go to sleep. The process took less than two weeks, but it's emotionally taxing and sleep depriving. Even though she night weaned, she'd till ask to nurse every night. It was very easy to cave in when she she caught a cold.

DesertRat 01-15-2013 05:00 PM

DS was exactly that age. While he was no longer co-sleeping, he was asking to nurse all day every day.I just couldn't take it anymore and all attempts to cut back failed because he'd get so mad when I told him no. So, I went cold turkey.

I put bandaids on my nipples and told him they were broken. The first day he thought it was funny so it diffused the situation. The next couple days he was a little more emotional about it. But, every time he'd ask I'd show him the bandaids and he seemed to understand that. It only took a few days and he quit asking altogether.

corinne76 01-15-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimpie (Post 16159279)
Yes, we cosleep. When she woke up, I offered water in a straw cup with a bite valve. For some reason, dd really likes bite valve straws when she can't nurse. I reassured her that mama was here, but there was no boob at night. First few nights she cried for nearly half an hour before she fell asleep. Then she got the message and would complain and cry briefly. It was very surprising when she night weaned. She would ask to nurse, but I'd remind her "No boob at night", and she would matter of factly reply, "okay", roll over and go to sleep. The process took less than two weeks, but it's emotionally taxing and sleep depriving. Even though she night weaned, she'd till ask to nurse every night. It was very easy to cave in when she she caught a cold.

Thanks for the advice mama

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat (Post 16162553)
DS was exactly that age. While he was no longer co-sleeping, he was asking to nurse all day every day.I just couldn't take it anymore and all attempts to cut back failed because he'd get so mad when I told him no. So, I went cold turkey.

I put bandaids on my nipples and told him they were broken. The first day he thought it was funny so it diffused the situation. The next couple days he was a little more emotional about it. But, every time he'd ask I'd show him the bandaids and he seemed to understand that. It only took a few days and he quit asking altogether.

haha bandaids are a cute idea. DS has been crying about EVERYTHING lately so Im pretty sure he won't laugh, he's just gonna throw a fit and cry. it's a cool idea and may be worth a shot.

mommy24babes 01-15-2013 06:47 PM

You say that he is dependent on it still.

Would you want to continue if you could get it manageable?

I cosleep and nursed each of my older 2 well past 2. At that age though for my sanity I became strict. No twiddling or pinching.
I warn once and then the nanas go away for a short period of time.

At various ages I have night weaned.
I just started by telling them nanas were going to bed and they could have nanas in the morning.
I offered lots of cuddles and a sippy of water.

There was crying/tantruming but after a few rough nights it stopped.

Once I changed some of what was getting on my nerves I didn't feel the need to take nursing away altogether.