Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transaction & Feedback Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   PSA-Postal prices are going up drastically Jan. 27 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481392)

MotherMoonPads 01-14-2013 11:29 AM

PSA-Postal prices are going up drastically Jan. 27

Just a friendly PSA, but postal prices are going to take a jump on January 27th.

International prices are rising rather drastically, IMO. First class international for 1-2 ounces will now start out at $6.55, even to Canada!

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulleti...2/html/kit.htm

Quote:

First-Class Package International Service
Effective January 27, 2013, the Postal Service is transferring First-Class Mail International packages and rolls from the market dominant (Mailing Services) product list to the competitive (Shipping Services) product list and renaming it First-Class Package International Service™ (FCPIS). The same mailing requirements such as price groups, maximum value, and weight limits apply.
The pricing structure for FCPIS will be more simplified in that there will be one price of $6.55 for 1- to 2-ounces to anywhere in the world; 3- to 4-ounces within each country price group will have identical prices; and 5- to 8-ounces within each country group will have identical prices. New for January 2013, free electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International offers scan events for customers using select software or online tools. E-USPS DELCON INTL is optionally provided for First-Class Package International Service to select destinations. It will be available only to Canada to start with.
ETA: This spreadsheet is pretty helpful in putting the international cost in black and white. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rNWstRUE#gid=0

booty hunter 01-14-2013 12:13 PM

Re: PSA-Postal prices are going up drastically Jan. 27

Awesome :thumbsup: They do so much they absolutely should raise prices, they deserve it after all. I have never seen such consistency in losing my packages and the level of not giving a damn what so ever has never faltered. I know I can always count on them to have no idea what is going on and the way they act as if me expecting them to do their job causes physical pain so the only thing to do is be a snotty as possible, well who doesn't love that? But my favorite reason they need a raise is that they have to work from 9 to 4 5 days a week and they only get an hour and a half for lunch :cry: seriously when will the abuse stop??? But they are so brave they only complain about how long the hours are 5 days a week from 9 to 4 5 days a week. They probably even complain over lunch, THAT is the level of dedication that have!! Who wouldn't want to pay extra for that kind of service?

kbz2002 01-14-2013 12:35 PM

That is a crazy increase in international. I can understand some increase but really that's going to make selling internationally more difficult especially for small business owners. I really dislike that.

Hungry Caterpillar 01-14-2013 01:57 PM

I actually have a perfectly lovely post office and have had great service, so I don't begrudge prices going up. I have no idea why they deliver priority mail supplies for free, either, I just assume that I am getting a free gift of at least 50 cents everytime I mail something priority because I didn't have to pay for the envelope or box, plus they pick it up from my doorstep when I print a label online.

I kinda love the post office. When I had a package lost the manager of my local post office called me every week for three weeks with updates on how he was looking for it. IMO that's pretty awesome service.

booty hunter 01-14-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar (Post 16156918)
I actually have a perfectly lovely post office and have had great service, so I don't begrudge prices going up. I have no idea why they deliver priority mail supplies for free, either, I just assume that I am getting a free gift of at least 50 cents everytime I mail something priority because I didn't have to pay for the envelope or box, plus they pick it up from my doorstep when I print a label online.

I kinda love the post office. When I had a package lost the manager of my local post office called me every week for three weeks with updates on how he was looking for it. IMO that's pretty awesome service.

Having a great post office or even mail carrier really does make all the difference! In the past we have had amazing post offices and our mail carrier was wonderful. But that was years ago and ever since we have had nothing but issues and every time I deal with the main number they just don't care at all.

themamageek 01-14-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdhutier (Post 16156330)
Awesome :thumbsup: They do so much they absolutely should raise prices, they deserve it after all. I have never seen such consistency in losing my packages and the level of not giving a damn what so ever has never faltered. I know I can always count on them to have no idea what is going on and the way they act as if me expecting them to do their job causes physical pain so the only thing to do is be a snotty as possible, well who doesn't love that? But my favorite reason they need a raise is that they have to work from 9 to 4 5 days a week and they only get an hour and a half for lunch :cry: seriously when will the abuse stop??? But they are so brave they only complain about how long the hours are 5 days a week from 9 to 4 5 days a week. They probably even complain over lunch, THAT is the level of dedication that have!! Who wouldn't want to pay extra for that kind of service?

I get consistently bad, rude and unreliable service from USPS so I do have a problem with prices going up. On the other hand, I know that it isn't *that* much and it will benefit people like employees at the one PO I do like and the two mail carriers we sometimes have that are so friendly to me.

MotherMoonPads 01-14-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar (Post 16156918)

That's awesome!

I really kind of love this post office as well. We just moved here in June, and we have a community mail box. I used to watch for the mail man to drive by and then just walk down to him to give him my packages. After a few weeks, he offered to stop by my house daily to pick up my packages. We have gotten a new mail man since then, but the new one does the same and tries to remind her alternates to pick up my packages as well. It saves quite a bit of effort on my part and I am appreciative that they stop since they are going by my house every day.

I totally understand that they are bleeding money and that this kind of price increase is necessary, but it's still a little shocking that FCI went up over 60%. I'm not sure many of us were prepared for that.

abunchoflemons 01-14-2013 02:15 PM

They need the increase.

booty hunter 01-14-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aithyne (Post 16157005)
I get consistently bad, rude and unreliable service from USPS so I do have a problem with prices going up. On the other hand, I know that it isn't *that* much and it will benefit people like employees at the one PO I do like and the two mail carriers we sometimes have that are so friendly to me.

Will it? From what I understood the increase is to fund the huge deficit they have not to raise employee salaries. I guess in a way it does help because if the post office goes bankrupt they will all lose their jobs. But from what was explained it was to cover gas and operating expenses not related to employees.

Hungry Caterpillar 01-14-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdhutier (Post 16156982)
Having a great post office or even mail carrier really does make all the difference! In the past we have had amazing post offices and our mail carrier was wonderful. But that was years ago and ever since we have had nothing but issues and every time I deal with the main number they just don't care at all.

Next time you call the main number, ask them for the Consumer Affairs number local to you. They are the ones who escalate complaints and who will actually be able to tell you something. I didn't know this for awhile but recently when I had my mysterious missing package, they were great. The main line is terrible, but the CA office reported it to my local PO, which is how I came to know Craig, most amazing postal worker ever.