Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Glucose tolerance test tomorrow. Suggestions? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481450)

xtin 01-14-2013 01:53 PM

Glucose tolerance test tomorrow. Suggestions?
 
My GTT is tomorrow at 8:30 am
Last pregnancy (09) I ate a king sized snickers since I'm not able to tolerate high fructose corn syrup and the glucol drink made me sooooooo sick with my first GTT in 2007.

I'm being told I need to eat 47 Jelly Belly beans or drink the sugar drink. I'm not allowed to eat the snickers this time. Complicating things, I had gastric bypass surgery in 2004 and this is why I can't consume HFCS or large amounts of sugar at one time. Makes me very sick, vomit, shaking etc

Am I supposed to fast? I can't imagine going 15 hours with no food, having to ingest a ton of sugar that my body isn't used to, having 7 vials drawn and NOT fainting. I was planning to get up at 7, make scrambled eggs, eat them at 8,drop off my girls at school and be at the OB at 8:30 exactly.

Suggestions?

Yarnjess 01-14-2013 01:57 PM

Re: Glucose tolerance test tomorrow. Suggestions?
 
Did they tell you to fast? If not, then don't worry about it. From what I know, OBs vary widely. Some require fasting, some don't. I hope you don't get sick or faint. Are you at high risk for GD? If not, have you considered declining the test?

RunawayBunny 01-14-2013 02:33 PM

Not sure what time zone you are on, but if they are still open I would call and ask if you are supposed to fast. Even the appt woman will be able to give you a quick answer on if you have to fast.

If they arent open I would assume no fasting. Most fasting labs are done in the am for a reason. I have mine in two days- no fasting for me!

Eta: never mind about the am labs. Just reread that your appt is in the am. In which case - my last ob did require fasting but said if I really needed to eat an egg would be ok.

xtin 01-14-2013 02:36 PM

Re: Glucose tolerance test tomorrow. Suggestions?
 
They told me to fast, yes.
I'm overweight but have low blood sugar since losing 160 pounds with gastric bypass. My other 2 daughters were 6lbs 2oz and 6lbs even, born at 39+ weeks. No other risk factors, I eat a low sugar, high protein diet and exercise regularly.

If I decline, I'm treated as "high risk" with non stress tests weekly and injecting insulin.

Kiliki 01-14-2013 02:40 PM

Re: Glucose tolerance test tomorrow. Suggestions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtin (Post 16157109)
They told me to fast, yes.
I'm overweight but have low blood sugar since losing 160 pounds with gastric bypass. My other 2 daughters were 6lbs 2oz and 6lbs even, born at 39+ weeks. No other risk factors, I eat a low sugar, high protein diet and exercise regularly.

If I decline, I'm treated as "high risk" with non stress tests weekly and injecting insulin.

what?!!?!

NOT calling you a liar, but could you have misunderstood that bolded part??

How could they possibly inject insulin if they don't know if you need it? That could be so very bad for you.... That makes no sense. Insulin can be dangerous for someone who typically already has LOW blood suagrs. Not to mention, anyone who doesn't NEED it. .... that's just such a bad idea.

I hate to ask this, but could they be stereotyping and treating you based on what they presume your diet looks like b/c of your weight? (you know, the old idea that all overweight people gorge on crap food all day...)

Also, did you ask for an alternative to the test?

For example, myself and many other mamas do at home testing using a glucometer instead of doing the GTT. It seems to be a happy in-between for most doctors. You get to eat your regular diet, keep a food journal, and take fasting and after meal sugars for a few days. This gives them a good idea of what your body is doing. Would your doc be willing to do it this way??

mommajewels 01-14-2013 03:33 PM

Re: Glucose tolerance test tomorrow. Suggestions?
 
I failed my 1hr GTT with my previous 3 pregnancies. With those pregnancies, I ate as I normally would but I fasted for 12hrs before the test. I did go on to pass the 3hr tests, but it was awful.. it made me miserably sick every time. So naturally this time around I was convinced I was going to fail the 1hr and have to do the awful 3hr. However, I just got a call from my midwife today and she was happy to tell me that I PASSED it this time around. I was SO SURE I was going to fail... but I "prepared" a little better this time and apparently it paid off. The two things I did differently... I loaded up on carbs a few days prior to my test... this helps your body produce the insulin needed to handle the glucose loaded beverage, which I love referring to as "the poison." haha. I also ate a small breakfast (scrambled eggs, 2pcs of bacon, a slice of toast with peanut butter) 1hr before I drank "the poison." I absolutely believe the combination of the carb loading and the small breakfast beforehand is what helped me pass this time so I'd definitely suggest NOT fasting.

FWIW... my midwife told me NOT to fast this time around, which is why I didn't.

xtin 01-15-2013 12:01 PM

Re: Glucose tolerance test tomorrow. Suggestions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiliki (Post 16157133)
what?!!?!

NOT calling you a liar, but could you have misunderstood that bolded part??

How could they possibly inject insulin if they don't know if you need it? That could be so very bad for you.... That makes no sense. Insulin can be dangerous for someone who typically already has LOW blood suagrs. Not to mention, anyone who doesn't NEED it. .... that's just such a bad idea.

I hate to ask this, but could they be stereotyping and treating you based on what they presume your diet looks like b/c of your weight? (you know, the old idea that all overweight people gorge on crap food all day...)

Also, did you ask for an alternative to the test?

For example, myself and many other mamas do at home testing using a glucometer instead of doing the GTT. It seems to be a happy in-between for most doctors. You get to eat your regular diet, keep a food journal, and take fasting and after meal sugars for a few days. This gives them a good idea of what your body is doing. Would your doc be willing to do it this way??

I'm not obese, just overweight so it's not me, just standard practice.
I used to be 342 pounds and I was 168 pre-pregnancy and have gained 17 (28.4 weeks). 12 of that in my first trimester due to having constant meals to ward off nausea
I ate scrambled eggs this morning, then 47 jelly beans at 9am, which spiked my blood sugar, gave me heart palpitations and raised my BP :( got stuck three times and even though I was fainting, they stuck me during it because it was close to the cut off window for the GT test. Not a fun morning, will get my results in 24-48 hours so will update.

I remember my previous GTT coming back both under 100, so I'm not overly concerned, just a little since I'm measuring ahead and this baby just FEELS huge lol

nalazimbala 01-15-2013 01:12 PM

Re: Glucose tolerance test tomorrow. Suggestions?
 
Why does it take so long to get your results? When I did my GTT and the 3 hour test, I knew right away.

mommajewels 01-15-2013 05:56 PM

Re: Glucose tolerance test tomorrow. Suggestions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nalazimbala (Post 16161483)
Why does it take so long to get your results? When I did my GTT and the 3 hour test, I knew right away.

It varies by provider. Some do it right in the lab, some have to send it off to a lab. It's always taken me a week to get my results back when I have bloodwork through my midwifes office.

RunawayBunny 01-15-2013 07:25 PM

I am sorry it was so bad. :( Hope your results come back normal and it can be a giant bad memory.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors