Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   How many plates do you have? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481577)

gingerpeachee 01-14-2013 06:52 PM

How many plates do you have?

How big is your family and how many plates/bowls do you have?

Mags462 01-14-2013 08:13 PM

Re: How many plates do you have?

Not enough .... well it's "just" enough but i would like some extra so i wasn't always "picking" out of the dishwasher :giggle:

We are a family of 5..... and we have 12 large "dinner" plates and 12 "salad" plates.... the salad size are what we need more of.... those are the plates the boys eat on 95% of the time and hence we are always running out of. ;)

ummsmiley 01-15-2013 09:09 AM

Hardly any! Lol it's odd to many people but in many cultures large families eat from two or three large trays. We've adopted that method and love it! It teaches/ makes the kids share and forces everyone to interact with each other, plus dinner dishes are done in like 5 min. We do it for pretty much everything but soup and cold cereal so we have like 10 bowls. We have like two maybe three plates tops for the rare occasion that my husband or I are eating outside the schedule! Been doing "communal" eating for a couple of years and can't imagine it any other way.....one time we went to a friends house and my 4 youngest children slid there stuff onto their sisters plate and then proceeded to wash the extra plates in the sink saying "thanks,but don't waste these!" I couldn't do anything but laugh.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq

RJ6Mommy 01-15-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ummsmiley (Post 16160323)
Hardly any! Lol it's odd to many people but in many cultures large families eat from two or three large trays. We've adopted that method and love it! It teaches/ makes the kids share and forces everyone to interact with each other, plus dinner dishes are done in like 5 min. We do it for pretty much everything but soup and cold cereal so we have like 10 bowls. We have like two maybe three plates tops for the rare occasion that my husband or I are eating outside the schedule! Been doing "communal" eating for a couple of years and can't imagine it any other way.....one time we went to a friends house and my 4 youngest children slid there stuff onto their sisters plate and then proceeded to wash the extra plates in the sink saying "thanks,but don't waste these!" I couldn't do anything but laugh.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq

So rice, desserts, meat, and everything you just all scoop with your own utensils?

missemily 01-16-2013 12:45 PM

I have about 12 large fiestaware dishes. The kids eat off of the smaller bread plates for the most part. Those I have about 15 of. I am always picking up extras at flea markets. My 10yo feels special because he was upgraded recently. Hey, they do a double whammy with teaching colors too. We have a family of 5 (soon to be 6).

mommabritt 01-16-2013 01:04 PM

6 people. We have 8 dinner plates and 8 dessert plates. But we have two sets of dishes. One set, for everyday, is corelle. The other is from pottery barn and is for special meals....birthdays, guests, holidays.

Tina5834 01-16-2013 03:53 PM

We are a family of 6 and we have 16 glass plates, 5 plastic plates, 8 glass bowls, 12 plastic bowls, 24 plastic cups, 24 glass cups, 24 knives, 24 forks, 24 spoons. It's more than we typically use but it's great for when we have parties.

ETA: we also have 8 saucers and 8 salad plates.

kannondicarpo 01-16-2013 03:57 PM

We are a family of 6 (only 5 eaters though) and we have 12 plates of various sizes. I don't have a dishwasher so I don't want a TON of dishes to be able to go through and have to wash a huge PILE everyday other day. This way I have to do the dishes everyday if I want something to eat off of.

I love the idea of communal eating. I was in Asia for awhile and that's how they did it. Wonder if my husband would go for it. Hmmmm.

raymark 01-16-2013 05:26 PM

Fam of 6, but only 5 eat here. ODD is attending college.

I probably have somewhere around 24 of everything but I'm not sure. A couple times a year I buy a cool set & throw others out. I recently had to buy everyone 'food face' plates (plus extras to account for a couple breaking in the future)- we're having a lot of fun with them :)
http://www.perpetualkid.com/food-face-dinner-plate.aspx

lisathib123 01-17-2013 05:13 AM

That's neat! We eat out of our own plates, but the kids eat their sibling's leftovers so when they're done the child with leftovers asks, "who wants my food!?!" We waste too much food in this country. We have about 20 large plates and 12 plastic plate. Bowls? 12. We are a family of 9. My kids are always walking off with dishes, so my count will never be accurate.