Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Negative blood types (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481612)

RainandRedemption 01-14-2013 08:32 PM

Negative blood types

I was very unsure about getting the rhogam shot with ds, but my midwife saw my hesitation and stuck the needle in my arm before I could think about it and say no. Im still upset about it.

With dd I didn't get the shot and had no complications. With baby #3 Im not sure what to do... If I go with the homebirth midwife in our area that kind of thing might not be monitored very closely. Are there things to look for that would indicate the blood types not being the same and becoming a problem?

Im doing a search but not having any luck finding much other than the same dribble about the rhogam shot and why a negative blood type could be a problem.

joeslittlewoman 01-14-2013 08:44 PM

No idea how credible this is, but this showed up in my Facebook feed a few days ago

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.c...a-profit-ploy/

I actually always get it. I've lost several babies, and had intervention-filled births with two rh+ babies. I know I've run across women online that refuse the mid-pregnancy injection, but not the post-birth. I guess it is just one of the few things where I am scared into following protocol. This did made me stop and think, as I've always considered it more a slight risk to myself at the slight possibility of benefitting my babies. Never considered the risk to my baby in utero. :( this is likely my last pg though, and I had my rhogam shot in dec.

tedcgh 01-14-2013 09:20 PM

I do not get the mid pregnancy shot but do get the after. My OB also checked antibodies in my blood. The only thing that I was told that it could cause issues late in subsequent pregnancies if a reaction did occur. I would maybe see if an antibody screening could be done.

mommajewels 01-15-2013 05:53 AM

Re: Negative blood types

There is actually a blood test that can determine fetal blood type during pregnancy. It is very minimally invasive, they use a sample of maternal blood from your arm. One of it's purposes is to identify possible Rh- factor in the fetus of expectant mothers who would like to avoid an immunization if it isn't necessary. There are a few different labs who offer the test and I think it varies by location, but it may be something worth looking into. It's called Fetal Rhd Genotyping. Here is more info on it. http://www.sequenomcmm.com/Home/Heal...RHD-Genotyping

With that said... I have gotten the shot at 28 weeks with all 5 of my previous pregnancies, anytime I experience significant bleeding during pregnancy, and then again when they're born if they are Rh+. (3 out of the 5.) I did have the fetal Rhd done with this baby and she is Rh+ so I had the RhoGam injection at 30wks (late appt) and will have it again after she is born.

weesej 01-15-2013 06:20 AM

If you had exposure from not getting the shot with baby #2...it is this pregnancy that would be effected, not that one. Have you gotten blood work done to check and see if you were exposed?? I personally (as a midwife) do not even offer the 28 week shot, but then check babies blood type and is + give Rhogam after the birth. I would also give it there is any bleeding during the pregnancy with mom, or trauma to the belly.

booty hunter 01-15-2013 08:17 AM

I am rh negative and all 9 of my kids are + and I always get the shot both before and after birth. I have known people who refused the shot with a + baby and the pregnancies after were terrible. You don't have issues with the pregnancy you refuse it on it is for pregnancies following it. One woman I know lost 4 babies all after 5 months along. Another of my friends made it til delivery but they had to do transfusions and monitor her constantly. I have respect for anyone who researches what goes into their body and makes an informed decision. But in the case of rhogam after seeing all of the heartache not having it can cause' I would never refuse it. I would get the testing for the antibody screen and the babies blood type if you can and then you can go from there with what decisions need to be made.

Fishie Kisses 01-15-2013 08:27 AM

I am - and DH is +, so I always get it during pregnancy, DS3 is my first + baby though, so the first time I've had to get it after also. I also had bleeding early in my last pregnancy and had to get it then. That one ultimately ended in miscarriage anyway, but I didn't need the shot again.

For me, the risk is totally not worth NOT getting the shot.

Done at 3 01-15-2013 08:34 AM

I've ways gotten it at 28 weeks and after delivery. Totally not worth the risk to me. There will always be conflicting info and conspiracy theorist type thinking out there if you look for it. You can't undo it once your body starts trying to get rid of + babies.

homebirthmom 01-15-2013 09:23 AM

i only get it after delivery IF baby is + blood type. no reason for me to risk a shot (and the toxins included) during pregnancy & to a baby who may be my blood type. out of all my miscarriages and births, I only needed it 4 times.

sisu 01-15-2013 09:31 AM

I get the shot at 28 weeks, and both my kids are Rh+ so I've also gotten the shot after birth both times. I personally feel that the benefits of the 28 week shot may be negligent, but so are the risks, IMO. A couple of generations back in my family there were a lot of infant deaths due to what was most likely Rh disease. It freaks me out, and I'd rather not risk the health of future babies.

If your daughter is Rh+ you should be tested to see if you were sensitized during your pregnancy with her, since it's this baby that would potentially be affected by that.