Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Actual reasons for induction UPDATE OP (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481628)

kaylabelle05 01-14-2013 09:26 PM

Actual reasons for induction UPDATE OP

UPDATE:
Colin Lawrence was born on Wed Janurary 30th at 2:35am after 4.5 hours of augmented labor. I was in early labor when I went in for pain control. Unfortunately, the pain got so much worse during each contraction I had (was 4, then went to 8). I could not breathe through the contraction and not breathe through the pain at the same time. I ended up getting an epidural at 9pm. Even though I was contracting every 2-3 mins, and GOOD contractions, I was not dilating. I said yes to Pitocin at 10pm. I woke up at 2am because I thought my epi wore off because the pain was back so bad (9/10 with each contraction). I was complete and pushing. He was born 35mins later when DH and DD got there.

Besides the main reasons for induction (Pre-E and others) are there other reasons that a woman should/could be induced?

I was supposed to be induced with DD because of how much pain I was in with my kidney stones but I went into labor before the induction date. DD also had IUGR and stopped growing after 35 weeks.

Now pregnant with #3 and having the same kidney stone issues but a little bit different pain. With DD, the pain was controlled until 2 severe attacks at 36 & 37 weeks. With this one, my pain has not been controlled well. Between having an ER accuse me of being a drug addict and trying to find a working pain medicine that would work around my health issues, it took awhile to find something that worked.

I am now at 35w3d and my OB is ok with inducing me at 38 weeks (he agrees with my reasons) because of my pain and not wanting the baby to have to be exposed to the narcotics for too long. Now my main reasons for waiting to be induced are sort of silly. #1 was I didn't want the baby to share my birth month. #2 I didn't want the baby to share the same b-day as my mom (25th), my dad (27th), my sister (29th) or my MIL (30th). But now that I am getting bigger, my pain is making me rethink my induction date choice (2/1- 38 weeks).

So I know it is a bit unorthodox to ask, but would you induce if you did not go into labor by a certain date? This is NOT a normal pregnancy and hasn't been since the day I hit the 2nd trimester. And every day that baby stays in is another day that we are both are narcotics. The day I deliver is the day we both start the weaning process to get off the narcotics. I am such on the fence on whether or not to tell my OB to start checking the lungs on next Monday. And another bit of info. I am VERY VERY VERY anti-medicalized birth. I am all about drug-free, natural, no medical intervention, (wish I could home birth), midwife assisted births. But I got handed a very high-risk pregnancy for #3 and so I had to have all the possible technologies that a woman can have during a pregnancy.

jaelynsmommy61607 01-14-2013 09:40 PM

I think any medical reason that you and your care provider feel are good enough reasons to induce are OK. I'd wait as close to 38/39 weeks as possible.

CherryPie 01-14-2013 09:47 PM

Re: Actual reasons for induction

With my first, I was induced b/c we had hit my due date and he still was not born yet which was a concern b/c he has hydrocephalus which causes an enlarged head and they wanted to make sure he could still fit during a vaginal delivery.

With my 4th, I was induced again 2 days after my EDD b/c DH was home on R&R from Iraq and only had 14 days. I am otherwise only for induction for medically necessary reasons but I did not want my husband to miss the birth or have to leave only a couple of days after the birth and I am alone with 4 kids. It was bad enough with him leaving 11 days after giving birth.

ingrid5699 01-15-2013 03:14 AM

Prior precipitous birth and living 45min-1hr away from hospital of choice in my case. I still won't let them induce until week 39/40.

ingrid5699 01-15-2013 03:17 AM

Adding that I know what you mean about pain though in my case it's debilitating nausea and vomiting despite meds (hyperemesis pregnancy). Still even 38w is early so I would try to stick with that plan.

MrsCrafty 01-15-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607
I think any medical reason that you and your care provider feel are good enough reasons to induce are OK. I'd wait as close to 38/39 weeks as possible.

Agreed! With DS I had such bad HG my Dr wanted to get me really stable, and well hydrated for the birth, so I was admitted for that and then I was induced at 38 weeks. Do what's best for you and baby :hugs:

eliz7 01-15-2013 08:00 AM

After watching my husband suffer for 1 month with a 5mm by 3 mm stone I can not imagine going through it pregnant:( Good luck with whatever you choose and I'm so sorry you are going through this.

EmilytheStrange 01-15-2013 03:15 PM

Medical reasons only here. I think you have a legitimate need based on the kidney issues and keeping the baby off narcotics/reducing narcotics, etc.

The birth date/month things seem silly to me. But I understand that some people are more interested in things like that. With DD, my ovulation meter never said I ovulated in the month DD was conceived and with this baby, I never recorded my LMP the month we conceived. So, due dates are very much 'estimated' and I like the idea of baby cooking as long as needed.

But your kidney issues seem legit.

leyash 01-15-2013 03:19 PM

I was induced with my second because labor with my first was only 90 minutes long, and at the time (pregnant with second) I was 45 minutes from the hospital. I was induced at 39w. With my third, I was induced because we lived in the same house (45 minutes from hospital) and also because my second was so large. I was induced at 39w with my third, and he was almost a pound bigger than my second!

With this one, I will be asking for an elective induction at 39w as well. I'm on track for another VERY large baby... and it scares me to think that waiting until 40-41 weeks would make a vaginal delivery impossible.

AcrossTheUniverse 01-15-2013 03:19 PM

I was induced at 34w4d due to premature rupture of membranes. They had ruptured at 30w but I never went into full-blown labor. They induced at 34w because the benefit of keeping baby in no longer outweighed the risk of having my water broken for so long. So, I can see how an early induction can be necessary. I'd definitely talk to your OB about the situation and see what they think.