Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Ds in 9% weight ...what now? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481644)

3girlsallnaughty 01-14-2013 10:56 PM

Ds in 9% weight ...what now?

Took ds in for a 9m check up. He gained 1.4lb in 3m. He eats all the time and everything we eat through his baby bullet. He gets plenty of formula and has wet /dirty diapers. He eats a lot for his size. I guess I thought he looked fine but now they wanna run blood work and send him to children's if he doesn't gain by 1. What now? He's 17.8lb (up from 16.4lb) and in the 80% height 23% head developing othetwise normally. (All my kids had small heads and are normal range now by age 1). Just feeling bad bc idk what else to offer him?

77Lipen 01-14-2013 11:00 PM

What was his birth weight?

77Lipen 01-14-2013 11:04 PM

Also his length may be growing so fast he's burning through calories and not 'gaining' as much.

Happened to a friend of mine who's child maintained the same weight for 2 months. He was just growing in length so quickly he couldn't keep the weight.

If you are really concerned you can get specialty formula that is for preemies or low weight children (sold behind pharmacy counters) and give him that.

But is wait until after all the bloodwork.

3girlsallnaughty 01-14-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Lipen (Post 16159317)
What was his birth weight?

He was 8# 8oz 19" at 37w0d

3girlsallnaughty 01-14-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Lipen (Post 16159320)
Also his length may be growing so fast he's burning through calories and not 'gaining' as much.

Happened to a friend of mine who's child maintained the same weight for 2 months. He was just growing in length so quickly he couldn't keep the weight.

If you are really concerned you can get specialty formula that is for preemies or low weight children (sold behind pharmacy counters) and give him that.

But is wait until after all the bloodwork.

I looked today and calorie for calorie they are the same...he also has lactose sensitivity.

Samandy 01-14-2013 11:11 PM

Re: Ds in 9% weight ...what now?

I wouldn't be too concerned yet. The same thing happened with my DS. Although I think it started at his 6 month check up. We did the blood work (all a-okay), referral to GI (no help) and all that. He's 5 now and growing just fine. I would just keep feeding him how you are and see what the blood work says.

3girlsallnaughty 01-14-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samandy (Post 16159334)
I wouldn't be too concerned yet. The same thing happened with my DS. Although I think it started at his 6 month check up. We did the blood work (all a-okay), referral to GI (no help) and all that. He's 5 now and growing just fine. I would just keep feeding him how you are and see what the blood work says.

Thanks. I wasn't too worried until I got the summary that has his bw till now and he's steadily decreased in his percentiles for weight. We went from 70% to 50%,32%,28%,19%, and now 9%.

77Lipen 01-14-2013 11:24 PM

Calorie for calorie they are the same but the quantity is different and there's higher fat (?). Can't remember. I know cause I was given a normal can of formula and when my LO kept shrinking until she dipped below the expected 10% loss of her birth weight they told me to use this preemie stuff. When I compared them (my free can to the preemie can) they were the same calorie wise but the pharmacist showed me the difference was in concentration and other 'things' (can't remember) that imcreased weight.

3girlsallnaughty 01-14-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Lipen (Post 16159350)
Calorie for calorie they are the same but the quantity is different and there's higher fat (?). Can't remember. I know cause I was given a normal can of formula and when my LO kept shrinking until she dipped below the expected 10% loss of her birth weight they told me to use this preemie stuff. When I compared them (my free can to the preemie can) they were the same calorie wise but the pharmacist showed me the difference was in concentration and other 'things' (can't remember) that imcreased weight.

Hmmm I'll have to take another look...thank u ;)

isabelsmummy 01-14-2013 11:28 PM

Re: Ds in 9% weight ...what now?

I've got one huge kid and one tiny and I am usually of the mind as long as they grow in some way (taller/heavier) then all is good and they'll catch up proportion wise.

I tend to think birth/infant weight is deceptive. I think that is more related to what size babies that the mom makes. What happens afterwards is up to their own genetics.

My huge child followed your child's percentiles in reverse! I make 6lbs babies. dd1 stayed tiny, dd2 grew exponentially.

All my attempts to fatten up dd1 failed. She's a teeny person (45lbs at age 8) and that is just her. Takes after my MIL.