Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   I have stinky milk :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481679)

1healthylady 01-15-2013 06:31 AM

I have stinky milk :(

According to daycare some of my milk has a funny smell. DD won't drink that milk and just pushes the bottle out with her tongue. What gives?

What's better, keeping pump parts in the fridge or at room temperature between pumpings? Or do I have to clean them between each pump session?

I refrigerate my milk as soon as it's pumped, and I transport it in my Playtex Fridge to go, so it should be staying cool.

I've recently started running more, that wouldn't make it stinky though would it? Maybe just a different flavor?

Help me make this work!!

AHASRADA 01-15-2013 07:04 AM

Definitely wash all your pumping parts between each session, and sterilize them once in a while with one of those microwavable sterilizing bags.

Does she protest when nursing also? It could be something you're eating (garlic, cabbage, etc.), but if she has no problem taking the same milk from the breast, it could be something about the collection and storage process. Or, she's just not crazy about taking your milk in a bottle and is being picky. Has she taken a bottle fine until now and this is something new?

Has the milk been frozen? Thawed milk does smell/taste different.

I would make sure you're following safe pumping and storage procedures, and see if you have changed your diet recently.

Pampered Mama 01-15-2013 07:18 AM

Re: I have stinky milk :(

Have you smelled it yourself? It could be the freezing/thawing changing the smell/taste- could it be lipase?

1healthylady 01-15-2013 07:59 AM

This is a new thing for her and my milk. I can't think of anything that's changed. The first time I thought it was just because I left the bottle attached to the pump in the fridge so maybe it got some odors from the fridge. But that's the only time I did that.

I smelled the bottle this morning that they think smelled funny, and I guess it smells a little funny, but then again I don't make a habit of smelling my milk after I pump.

The milk in question has been refrigerated only, never frozen, and is smelling the day after pumping. Maybe I should put it on the bottom shelf so it stays cooler than on the top shelf by the light?

She doesn't protest when nursing, just with the bottle at DC occasionally. It took a good week before she would even take the bottle there when we started. Sunday night I had heated up a bottle so DH could feed her while I cleaned the kitchen. She refused it from him, but 20 minutes later took it from me, which I thought was strange, and then nursed afterward.

1healthylady 01-15-2013 11:59 AM

I was just looking into lipase because I had no idea what it was! So I found this link: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...expressedmilk/ The milk I smelled this morning had a very faint sour smell to it, not soapy. So I'll stop taking my fish oil supplements and put a new box of baking soda in the fridge, clean my parts better and see if all that fixes the problem. :dunno:

MinkaK 01-16-2013 10:01 AM

Sorry, the title made me laugh and look. I always washed the parts after each use. I exercise 1-2hrs a day and never noticed the smell of my milk changing.

Nerissa 01-16-2013 12:03 PM

Sorry she is fussing.

FWIW-- I dont' wash my parts between pumping sesions. I just wipe them out and I store the milk in the bag that came with my pump and the ice pack. It is plenty cold. I have never had a problem with the smell/taste

I would gues is has more to do with something you ate since the milk hasn't been frozen

PoshPants 01-16-2013 12:09 PM

I have the lipase issue, had to boil and freeze which was a PITA. Mine was a metallic like smell though

kannondicarpo 01-16-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoshPants (Post 16165920)
I have the lipase issue, had to boil and freeze which was a PITA. Mine was a metallic like smell though

:yeahthat: