Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How Long Are Your OB Visits? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481932)

sillymama 01-15-2013 07:45 PM

How Long Are Your OB Visits?

This is baby #4 and I am SO OVER OB visits. I used this office for baby #3 too, but was at a different practice in a different city with my first two. I waited until 13 weeks to go in for my first visit and I wish I had waited even longer. Of the three office visits I've had (not counting the early glucola test I had to take - bleh) the shortest one was an hour and a half and the longest was over 2 hours. 90% of the time is spent waiting. Heaven forbid I express any frustration, I get half-*** apologies and "We've had some really sick people today." Seriously, I'm not even a jerk about it, even though I'd like to be, I just want a heads up if I'm going to have a long wait time, maybe even the option to reschedule. Unfortunately I'd have to drive over 45 minutes to go to a different doctors office and, for insurance purposes, almost all the OB offices are group practices, so I doubt it would be any different. That is the downside of small town living, not a lot of choices.

So vent with me or sing your OB or Midwife praises. Let me know I'm not alone and tell me that the perfect practice exists somewhere.

bai18176 01-15-2013 07:53 PM

My ob was like that. It was horrible waiting there. A short time was 1 hour wait, and sometimes it would be close to 3. My midwife has never made me wait more than 10 min and they apologize for that! Love my midwife!

Steph Ed 01-15-2013 07:56 PM

Re: How Long Are Your OB Visits?

Your rant is exactly why I've purposely sought out docs that don't make me wait forever! For my general practitioner, it takes anywhere from 30 - 45 mins from beginning to end. My last doc was ridiculous and I have easily waited 2 hours on him from start to finish each visit.

My OB visit NEVER takes more than 30 minutes, even if I am being examined. He also refuses to see drug reps, which I'm sure helps him stay on schedule. I live 30 - 35 mins from my OB office, and last visit I was back home in 1.5 hours :)

cdeweese 01-15-2013 08:11 PM

Sounds like a military hospital :) We're to get there 15 minutes early and end up being seen at least 15 minutes late. For me, the most frustrating part iis the appt is only 15 minutes or so.

joeslittlewoman 01-15-2013 08:14 PM

My OB used to have crazy long waits, but he is so great it is worth it. Everyone wants to go to him. Even his staff is awesome. i think he is delegating more to his NP now. The wait hasn't been nearly as long this pregnancy.

JennTheMomma 01-15-2013 08:16 PM

I used a OB with ds1. Normal waiting room wait was like 20 minutes and seeing the OB was like 5 minutes.

Emily Whited 01-15-2013 08:22 PM

It is hard for me to get mad at my OB for the wait time because he is right across the street from the hospital and I know he gets behind because he has to run across the street and deliver babies.

CntryMama 01-15-2013 08:31 PM

Same here... Plus add on a good 45 mintue drive one way and its an all day event!!

3 ladybugs 01-15-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily Whited (Post 16163145)
It is hard for me to get mad at my OB for the wait time because he is right across the street from the hospital and I know he gets behind because he has to run across the street and deliver babies.

Exactly!!

I have yet to go to my OB for this pregnancy. Didn't know I was going to her till January 3 when my Peri told me to (thought my peri was going to deliver me). So I got her next available and it is when I am almost 16 weeks. :banghead:

However I have been around the medical world enough to know that a wait, ANY wait, is better then getting in and out. Even with the over active 4 year old in tow. The times that I get in and out out I actually worry about because that means that, more often then not, I am in trouble. That I don't want EVER again! So tomorrow when I go and see my Oncologist for a 10:15 appointment and she sees me at noon, I will sit back and relax and THANK GOD that I didn't have to see her when I walked in. And in the off chance she is running on time I will be thanking God that everyone she saw before me was well. :goodvibes:

EmilytheStrange 01-15-2013 08:49 PM

About 10 minutes. My friend timed hers once and it was 4 minutes (same practice).

Blood pressure, weight, Doppler, questions.

All done!