Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   So when was this kid concieved?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481935)

Lanasmom 01-15-2013 06:56 PM

So when was this kid concieved??

LMP was 10/15. Ovulation predictor said fertile days were 12-26 to 1-3. We used condoms 12-23 to 1-6. I was expecting AF 1-13 to1-15. Got 2+ hpt 1-14 and positive digi today. Was this a condom oops? Or timing oops?

joeslittlewoman 01-15-2013 07:04 PM

What ovulation predictor do you use and how is the fertile window calculated? If it just calculates off cycle length, that is probably your weak link. If you were temping and checking your cervix and fluid you would have a good idea of O day, and could figure out the likelihood of condom failure, vs having sex too close to ovulation.

mommycass 01-15-2013 07:08 PM

Re: So when was this kid concieved??

I believe that you can get pregnant up to 5 days before you actually ovulate. So in my opinion it could be either?! Do you remember when you DTD before the 23rd?

littlehands 01-15-2013 07:10 PM

Probably timing.

I am 10 weeks pregnant with a surprise. I ovulated on 11/18. The last time we had DTD was on 11/13, so those stinkers swam around for 5 days before getting an egg. O.o

Lanasmom 01-15-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommycass
I believe that you can get pregnant up to 5 days before you actually ovulate. So in my opinion it could be either?! Do you remember when you DTD before the 23rd?

We dtd nearly every day. Ovulation predictor was online but I'm textbook every 28 days. I concieved my other two using online ovulation predictor. I meant to say lmp was 12/15.

joeslittlewoman 01-15-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanasmom

We dtd nearly every day. Ovulation predictor was online but I'm textbook every 28 days. I concieved my other two using online ovulation predictor. I meant to say lmp was 12/15.

Having 28 day cycles doesn't mean you ovulate on a predictable day. If the online predictor was only taking cycle length into account, that is likely your "problem".

Fishie Kisses 01-15-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeslittlewoman (Post 16163387)
Having 28 day cycles doesn't mean you ovulate on a predictable day. If the online predictor was only taking cycle length into account, that is likely your "problem".

Agreed. I used to have 29-30 day cycles, but never ovulated before CD18. I would say you ovulated earlier than predicted

klevmomma 01-16-2013 07:25 AM

Sounds like condom failure to me. They are what, 98% effective when used perfectly? That means 2% (or whatever the actual rate is) of the time they aren't, kwim?

If you weren't tracking ovulation, then it certainly is possible that you ovulated a little early. But, first of all, I think it is pretty rare to ovulate before CD12. For you that would have been 12/27. In theory, if you DTD on 12/22 with no protection and o'd on 12/27, that could have done it. I'm not saying it's impossible, but that doesn't seem especially likely to me.

If you go the other direction, your first day without protection was 1/7. With a + on 1/14, that's only 7 dpo with that o date. So you would have had to o on cd24 and gotten a very early +. So, I don't think that is especially likely either, though again not impossible.

In the end, you'll never really know since you weren't charting an exact o day. But, imo, you were definitely being safe, and safe isn't 100% effective (unless by safe one means abstinent of course, lol). It's just one of the amazing mysteries / miracles of life, imo :-)

Mom2Connor 01-16-2013 08:39 AM

I agree that it sounds like timing. 3 days prior and after isn't enough.

I have textbook 28 day cycles too, before and after DS1. When TTC LO2 i was using the fertility ovulation sticks. For three cycles i ovulated on CD14, then the 4th cycle i ovulated on CD11 and we got pregnant with DS2.

Lanasmom 01-16-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klevmomma
Sounds like condom failure to me. They are what, 98% effective when used perfectly? That means 2% (or whatever the actual rate is) of the time they aren't, kwim?

If you weren't tracking ovulation, then it certainly is possible that you ovulated a little early. But, first of all, I think it is pretty rare to ovulate before CD12. For you that would have been 12/27. In theory, if you DTD on 12/22 with no protection and o'd on 12/27, that could have done it. I'm not saying it's impossible, but that doesn't seem especially likely to me.

If you go the other direction, your first day without protection was 1/7. With a + on 1/14, that's only 7 dpo with that o date. So you would have had to o on cd24 and gotten a very early +. So, I don't think that is especially likely either, though again not impossible.

In the end, you'll never really know since you weren't charting an exact o day. But, imo, you were definitely being safe, and safe isn't 100% effective (unless by safe one means abstinent of course, lol). It's just one of the amazing mysteries / miracles of life, imo :-)

This was my line of thinking too. I thought we were being overly cautious and only dtd unprotected the week after and before my period