Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   fetal assessment? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482)

Trishalynn 04-26-2006 10:42 AM

fetal assessment?

just curious what I should expect from this? I'm going for one tonight and though I had one about three years ago it was at a womans hospital with level 2 ultrasound. But this is just at the local hospital with normal equipment. So not sure what they all do here? lol. I"m pretty sure they won't be checking all the organs as there's no concern there, is it normally just checking the size of baby? Here's praying that the OB is running on time so I don't have to go in late tongiht!! lol

Bare Bottom Gear 04-26-2006 10:59 AM

Re: fetal assessment?

They put you on an heartbeat monitor and you hit the clicker everytime you feel the baby move. It puts marks on the read out page and then they count them to see how active baby is.

Then they do an ultrasound to measure the amount of amniotic fluid in your tummy. The further you go in pregnancy the less fluid and it becomes a danger for baby. I had 2 because I was over due! Was due 8/30/03 delivered on 9/06/03.

HTH & Hope I am right! lol

ETA: They only get worried about the amount of fluid when you are overdue!

Trishalynn 04-26-2006 11:33 AM

you have to do a stress test? I hate those!! I can't stand being hooked up to that equipment, I just about loose it everytime! Well I hope I can skip that part, we're not worried about baby's movements and heart rate and everything else is normal. sounds like it won't take too much time then with the ultrasound then thats good!

Bare Bottom Gear 04-26-2006 11:45 AM

The stress test for me was simple. Just the same old fetal monitor deal and the clicker. I had dh with me so I had someone to talk to. Our dr.'s office put me in a recliner in a nice regular room so it was fine for me.

The amniotic fluid test was super simple and fast. It was neat to see ds all grown up! We got another good 'ole shot of his "jewels" and the lady was nice enough to print us off some pictures of it! LOL

Don't worry, it'll be quick and painless.

I wasn't sure if a fetal assessment and what I did were the same thing. Maybe another mama will post too so we can figure it out.

I never had any other "tests" to speak of so I wondered if that was what you were having done.

CarrieMF 04-26-2006 12:01 PM

If you are talking about the biophysical ultrasound it can take 30minutes. I had one in my last pg, but never did the NST part which was odd because it was what happened on an NST that i was having the BP.

They check for gross movement(ones you can feel) I believe they need 3, small movement(the ones you can't) again I think they need 3, how often the baby is practicing breathing, the measure the amount of amniotic fluid. They need the right number of movements within 30minutes. You get 2points for each thing for a total of 8(without the NST), or 10(with the NST). My dd wasn't having enough movement but had the breathing and amniotic fluid measured within 15minutes so they had me flip back and forth on my side until they got enough movements. It took until the 30minute mark for her to do enough, but technically I passed(I shouldn't have, but that's a differnet story).