Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   s/o Do you plan to buy your child's first cars? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482012)

EmmaGM 01-15-2013 10:25 PM

New? Used? Lemon?
Do you plan to buy it for them or just contribute?

Eta: did your parents buy your first car?

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 01-15-2013 10:30 PM

Re: s/o Do you plan to buy your child's first cars?

No, they will work and earn their car through their hard work.
Dh and I also bought our own first cars from working hard, we want our kids to feel that pride in buying for themselves.

EmmaGM 01-15-2013 10:30 PM

Right now, I plan to buy one decent but used car for my kids to share. It will be mine and it won't be going anywhere when they go off to college or whatever they may do. For the use of the car, I'll expect help driving grandparents and younger siblings around, errands, etc.

Of course, a lot could change in the next 16 years.

My parents bought my first three cars for me, outright. And while I appreciate it greatly, it did me no favors.

MothyrGrimm 01-15-2013 10:35 PM

Nope. Every bit of money he gets for Christmas, birthdays, etc. goes into a savings account for his first car. We have a friend who's mother did that and he ended up with a very nice car once he turned 16.

If for whatever reason we ever bought a first car it'd be a lemon or an old car of ours so me or dh could get a new one.

Eta: Yes my parents bought me a 91 Honda Accord for $1,400. I adored that car and its quirks! (Couldn't use radio and cigarette lighter at the same time or the fuze would blow. And if it was under a quarter tank it'd stall if you hit the breaks too hard and the gas all sloshed to the front of the tank.)

AbbieJack 01-15-2013 10:38 PM

Yes, they will get a nice used vehicle of their choice (with in reason) when they turn 16 (or is it 18 now?)

We intend to give our children what we can to make starting out as easy as possible.

We intend to do the following

Buy them a safe reliable car
Pay for college
Pay for their wedding
Pay 6 months of rent . They can use it all at once or as needed.
Pay for 2 months of groceries

MyLovely 01-15-2013 10:47 PM

Assuming we can afford it, yes. A good-quality, safe, used car that would be theirs in everything but the title, which would be transferred over upon college graduation.

My parents gave me a pretty great quality car when I got my permit at 15. My dad had been meaning to get himself a truck for awhile, and when they calculated it out, it was just easiest to give me his 3 year old car that was paid off. She's pretty old and beat up now, but I swear, this car will never die!

I noticed in the college thread that a lot of people plan to save for things like weddings or down payments on houses instead of college or cars. I guess I'm the opposite. I don't find weddings to be all that important, if my kids want a huge one, they can save for it themselves. Ditto with a down payment. People don't typically own homes until they're a little older and established in their careers. The way I see it, the car and college education can get them to the place where they can pay for their own weddings and homes :giggle:

Mama*Kim 01-15-2013 10:48 PM

Most likely, when DS1 gets close to driving, DH and I will purchase another vehicle. Probably something cheap but mostly reliable. Maybe around $1000-1500. It will be our car, not DS's. He will be able to use it for approved purposes based on grades and other factors. When he's ready to move out, he'll need to figure out his own transportation situation if he hasn't already.

FWIW, public transportation is not an option in our area. It simply doesn't exist out here.

Fishie Kisses 01-15-2013 11:00 PM

We are undecided still. If we do, it will not be anything nice. Just something to get to and from. They will be expected to run errands, transport siblings, etc.

We will probably offer to pay half up to a certain dollar amount. My mom bought my first car but I made the payments, if that makes sense. It was a corner lot, so it wasn't a fancy or even sort of new car, but she didn't have cash as a single mom so she had to finance it.

Currently, any and all cash/checks the kids get for holidays and birthdays goes into savings. We also have college funds that, if they join the military or get a scholarship, will be cash in their pockets when they graduate. They may use that money for a new car if they choose at that time.

isabelsmummy 01-15-2013 11:12 PM

I really can't imagine that we would. Cars are not a necessity at all here. I bought my first car when I was 31, after dd was born. I bought a house before a car!

The only reason I could see that we might would be if there was some reason why we needed them to have a car.

Only 01-15-2013 11:25 PM

I have no issue providing my daughter with a nice vehicle permitting both her behavior and grades are great.

My parents bought me a brand new vehicle when I got my license. They pretty much let me pick whatever I wanted.