Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wool or Fleece? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482050)

Belbaby3728 01-16-2013 06:57 AM

Wool or Fleece?

Which do you prefer and why? Trying to decide between wool or fleece wrap style covers. Also how many do you think you need in each case? I know would need more fleece than wool.

Ashlynnray 01-16-2013 07:06 AM

I like fleece for around the house during the day. I use fleece pants though. I prefer wool for when we are out and at night. I don't like having to change fleece each time it's wet. With wool I can use until its damp and then just let it dry out. I don't like that I have to wash the fleece each time. But I still prefer both over PUL!

dagmomma 01-16-2013 07:08 AM

Re: Wool or Fleece?

I can not use wool bc we are allergic--sadly! But I like fleece for many reasons. One you can throw it right in the washer and dryer. And you basically can beat it up!

Belbaby3728 01-16-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagmomma
I can not use wool bc we are allergic--sadly! But I like fleece for many reasons. One you can throw it right in the washer and dryer. And you basically can beat it up!

That's what I am thinking, no special washing to deal with...guess I just gotta try one and see ;)

boysniris 01-16-2013 07:53 AM

I prefer fleece for the durability and the easy care. I realize that some people feel wool is easier than fleece b/c you only wash 1x/week, but with fleece I didn't have to add anything extra to my normal routine because I can put it into the regular laundry or the diaper laundry. I don't have to worry about it accidentally being ruined or shrunk. It's probably just a matter of perspective as to which is "easier".

My son is out of daytime diapers now, but when he was in diapers he wore fleece pretty much 100% of the times, with 2 wool wraps as back-up when the fleece was all dirty. PUL made him rashy, so it wasn't an option. He mainly wore fleece soakers or shorties/longies.

For full-time fleece, you'd conservatively need the same # of covers that you would need for full-time PUL. I found that my son's fleece could be aired out and re-used through the day, but I have read some people saying that they can only use it once or twice before it picks up an odor. It probably depends on how wet the diaper is underneath: if the diaper is soaked then some of the wetness has probably moved into the fleece.

So for a young infant EBF, probably 6 - 8 wraps. For baby starting on solids, maybe 4 - 5 wraps. By the time my son was two, 3 - 4 was plenty. Part of it depends on how often you're washing clothes, whether things pile up or you stay on top of them. If you are trifolding, then go for the higher #, if you are using snug fitteds then you could get by with the lower #. PFs...depends on whether or not you have a lot of problems with blow-outs :giggles:

One thing I found that worked well was to put dirty fleece by the washer so I could wash it with whatever was being washed. If I actually threw it into the laundry, I might not get to that particular load for a few days so things would "disappear" for longer than I planned.

Kissed by the Moon 01-16-2013 08:59 AM

I have some of each and like both! fleece is a lot cheaper and it works great- love the feel of wool though!

c&w's mama 01-16-2013 09:43 AM

Ds hasn't yet tolerated fleece, so my wool addiction is in full swing.

I did buy a few polar fleece pants for a dollar to see if he could tolerate them long enough for eating breakfast and not mushing food on his woolies. So far, so good. But I take them right off after.

I enjoy lanolizing my wool (have no idea why) but don't feel the need to get extra food mushed into them when he hides it next to him.

boysniris 01-16-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c&w's mama (Post 16165103)
Ds hasn't yet tolerated fleece, so my wool addiction is in full swing.

I did buy a few polar fleece pants for a dollar to see if he could tolerate them long enough for eating breakfast and not mushing food on his woolies. So far, so good. But I take them right off after.

I enjoy lanolizing my wool (have no idea why) but don't feel the need to get extra food mushed into them when he hides it next to him.

I would NOT want to clean mushed food off wool, so that's a good idea :giggle: What happens to your son, does he break out in a reaction to the fleece? :hugs:

foggierbard9 01-16-2013 10:55 AM

I love how easy fleece is. I don't have to do anything special and can just toss the covers in with regular laundry or diapers. I own some wool too and like it but I don't like having to do the separate extra stuff and then usually end up with wool that needs washed/lanolized and it sits because with 3 kids, I need easy. I had to spend 45 minutes one day scrubbing mud and picking leaves and twigs out of a pair of wool knit shorties and they are still stained from the mud because I couldn't get it all out without felting them. I have also felted a few wool covers because DH accidently threw them in with the diapers. Fleece is also a LOT cheaper so I can have way more in our stash than wool.

I will say that with both wool and fleece they are only as good as the diaper underneath...you need good absorbency for either to work.

momma_dna 01-16-2013 11:16 AM

Love wool interlock! It's what we use exclusively (WCW mainly and a couple LB pull ons). It's so durable and easy to care for. I wash all of ours in the washer (old school TL) and then spray lano day wool and heavy lano bath for night wool. I love it more than fleece because IMO it looks much better and less like pjs. We do have one pair of fleece, they are 49er fleece longies to make DH happy, and one pair of shorties. Don't use them very much.