Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   started no poo today and OCM yesterday...HELP!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482051)

yellowrose28 01-16-2013 07:08 AM

started no poo today and OCM yesterday...HELP!!!

This morning I took the plunge and started no poo today. I know that my hair will be more oily during the transition, but my hair is oober crazy oily and it has only been an hour since I showered and dried it! Is this normal?!? Also, how often should I be washing it? With shampoo/conditioner I was washed every other day. Should I stay with every other day with the BS/ACV? I do like how the ACV made my hair soft and not tangled!

I also started OCM on my face yesterday! Why not just dive right in! I have 1/3 castro oil and 2/3 EVOO. I find that my face is still dry, should I be changing the ratios or adding something else? Also, do I do this every morning or skip a day?

greencrunchymama 01-16-2013 07:16 AM

Re: started no poo today and OCM yesterday...HELP!!!

Here's some good info about no poo. She also has info about the oil cleansing method.

Hope that helps!

cammyM 01-16-2013 08:57 AM

I make my own shampoo with 1 part baby mild castille soap to 10 parts water,add a couple drops of lavendar essential oil and a couple drops of olive oil cause the castille soap is drying. it works awesome! and for face i use olive oil and organic sugar mixed together :)

crunchyNurseMommy 01-17-2013 10:10 PM

I have never heard of this! Love the idea! May give no poo a try along with my ocm!

aemarques 01-23-2013 12:34 AM

I just did this for the first time to! I only washed mine twice a week to begin with so I think the transition will be easier for me but we'll see. I'm really hoping it will help my dry itchy dandruffy scalp...

The oilyness will pass, don't wash everyday. Do every 3 days max, put a hat on or put it up. The faster you jump in the faster it will pass. Everyone goes through it when washing less but in two weeks you should see major improvement.

And isn't it crazy how soft the ACV makes your hair, it's like mind boggling

DottieHarley 01-25-2013 05:22 AM

I do low-poo/co-washing as opposed to no-poo, but for professional reasons I needed to minimize that oily transition period. So I started slowly spacing out my actual shampoo wash... every day -> every other day -> every third day, etc. I think the transition takes longer this way of course (I still use shampoo 1-2x/week) but it is more acceptable to me (and my bosses, lol).

chloecat 01-25-2013 05:28 AM

i only use shampoo 1 to 2 times a month. i shower daily but only get my hair wet about every 3rd day. when i get it wet i scrub it around in the hot water and i use garnier fructis conditioner on it. just a smidge and i scrub the conditioner into my hair like most people do with shampoo. it works really well for me. people always comment on how beautiful and soft my hair is!

fwiw, i have very thick curly almost ethnic type hair. think foxy brown curls

indigo152 01-25-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloecat
i only use shampoo 1 to 2 times a month. i shower daily but only get my hair wet about every 3rd day. when i get it wet i scrub it around in the hot water and i use garnier fructis conditioner on it. just a smidge and i scrub the conditioner into my hair like most people do with shampoo. it works really well for me. people always comment on how beautiful and soft my hair is!

fwiw, i have very thick curly almost ethnic type hair. think foxy brown curls

I was wondering if people still use conditioner while going no poo. I have only heard about people using ACV rinses, but I am unsure if my hair would think that's enough. My hair sounds similar to yours in that it's very thick and wavy with a tendency to frizz. I want to try no poo or at least less frequent shampoos, but I plan to do it in phases. I am not convinced about using ACV, tho. My hair doesn't dry well naturally (it would take hours, and just be a fuzz ball), and it takes waaayy too long to blow dry. I am afraid that my wet hair would just smell like vinegar all day :(
What do people add to Apple Cider Vinegar rinses to eliminate the vinegar smell, or what are other conditioner options that are natural and inexpensive?

Also, to make my hair wavy without frizz now I use a Pantene mousse. It works great on my hair, but I am wondering what I should use if I start going no poo? Do people with curly hair use styling products?