Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Has anyone used Oak Meadow curriculum? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482087)

Art mama 01-16-2013 09:24 AM

Has anyone used Oak Meadow curriculum?

I'm looking into it for 2nd grade next year. Any input would be appreciated.

ETA: got confused on name on original post :blush:

Art mama 01-17-2013 06:19 PM

Anyone?

BradleyMomma 01-17-2013 08:33 PM

I have not, but my step daughter was hs through grade 6 with Oak Meadow. She liked it. I could ask her mom. What kinds of questions do you have about it?

Art mama 01-17-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradleyMomma
I have not, but my step daughter was hs through grade 6 with Oak Meadow. She liked it. I could ask her mom. What kinds of questions do you have about it?

Just in general how they liked it. I'd be starting in second grade. I guess my main concern is whether a less mainstream style of learning like this would help or hinder in the future. Like when she applies for or goes to college in a more traditional setting. If that makes sense ;)

genevievej84 01-18-2013 09:18 AM

We used it for a few months in K for my oldest and we both hated it. He does best with a more traditional style and is very fast paced. Oak Meadow was much to slow and eclectic for him. I do think it would be fine for my free-spirit DS2, but I've never gone back to it.

Art mama 01-18-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genevievej84
We used it for a few months in K for my oldest and we both hated it. He does best with a more traditional style and is very fast paced. Oak Meadow was much to slow and eclectic for him. I do think it would be fine for my free-spirit DS2, but I've never gone back to it.

My 6 year old is more free spirited. We tried math u see....she wanted to build houses. We use time4learning for language arts...she's fiddling with everything but the computer screen. We do math worksheets...she's figuring out her own way to do the problems. And she lives art and making stuff. Do you think it would be a good fit for her?

faiths13 01-18-2013 10:26 AM

I was actually looking into it as well for my 1st grader next year. It looks interesting and I've seen great reviews. Its supposed to be very hands on, project based, and gentle. I was also looking at Moving Beyond the Page, which is similar

BradleyMomma 01-19-2013 04:59 PM

Ok I'll ask her. I know they liked it. My step daughter is free spirited and artistic. If it helps you any, she went to ps starting in 7th grade and had no problems and has been on honor roll. She was a tad behind in math but caught up very quickly. But she hates math so that may be why.

Art mama 01-19-2013 07:12 PM

Re: Has anyone used Oak Meadow curriculum?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradleyMomma (Post 16180045)
Ok I'll ask her. I know they liked it. My step daughter is free spirited and artistic. If it helps you any, she went to ps starting in 7th grade and had no problems and has been on honor roll. She was a tad behind in math but caught up very quickly. But she hates math so that may be why.

Oh thank you. That does help me a lot. I ordered it yesterday and I'm excited to get started. I would really appreciate any feedback that she has. :thumbsup:

iris0110 01-19-2013 08:34 PM

Re: Has anyone used Oak Meadow curriculum?

I would like to hear as well. I've considered it on and off for years but never taken the plunge. I'm using an unschooling/Waldorf style for my youngest (2nd) right now and am wondering if I shouldn't just switch to Oak Meadow for both of my kids. What I am using now for my oldest (5th and using school at home which has always been best in the past) just isn't working anymore.