Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   If you consider yourself to be "minimalist"...is there anything you do stockpile? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482135)

FernHollow 01-16-2013 10:59 AM

If you consider yourself to be "minimalist"...is there anything you do stockpile?

Our household is strongly in the category of what I've heard called "moderate minimalism". Some people think it is more radical minimalism (mostly the people who are not minimalist at all LOL), but we are at a good place with our "stuff" at this point. I have made a point of not stockpiling away lots of extra household items just in case because it just became too stressful.

I buy large containers instead of the very few items that we DO use and just quit buying the rest. For example, I buy a large box of Country Save detergent, Dr. Bronners for our cleaning needs and giant containers of our family's lavendar shampoo...but I don't keep extras stashed away for later. I'm feeling a little odd about our diapering situation though. We are pretty much at the point of not being a cloth diapering family at all (my older 4 are all PLed, just the 18mo in diapers and 3 yo & 4yo in pullups for night) because of severe eczema problems with my youngest. We are using 7th generation disposables and the same brand of pullups. They are way more cost effective to buy in bulk online than locally. I feel weird having a big stockpile of them and I don't really even know where to put them in our house. We have very little storage space and don't have a changing table. I've been just leaving them in the big boxes they came in, stacked in our tiny master closet and grabbing diapers individually. I want my closet cleared if possible though!

So I guess I'm curious if anyone else has any household items they stockpile yet remain minimalist? If so, how do you store them? Any organizational ideas for me to figure out how to store diapers, pullups and extra packs of wipes? I know this is a CD forum, but I'm sure there have to be some people on here that have used sposies some too ;)

elizabeth.scalf 01-16-2013 11:07 AM

I'm in the process of using up my stored bulk items. There's not much that I plan on buying bulk anymore ( a pound of sunflower seeds might be bulk compared with buying two ounces at a time but it isn't unreasonable or cluttery to store them lol). I hate visual clutter, even if I do have room for things and have them organized nicely. I also plan on having one area to store extras-my laundry room. Having diapers, which are a non-parent-clothing in my master closet would annoy me. . In your case, if having the extra diapers in your closet doesn't bother you, then go for it. In my case, the boxes would. So I would store the boxes in my laundry room and pull out a dozen or two at a time to put in a matching basket that matched the rest of decor in whatever room you use to change.

cherylchoo 01-16-2013 11:23 AM

Re: If you consider yourself to be "minimalist"...is there anything you do stockpile?

I am trying to get to the true minimalist place, but I'm not quite there yet. I do however think it is definitely more cost-effective to stockpile certain things, and I'm not above continuing that. I seem to remember with my oldest, who was the only one exclusively sposied, that we stuck her diapers bought in bulk in an over the door shoe organizer. IDK if that works for the larger sizes tho, she never got past size 3. :giggle2:

meeshkasheeba 01-16-2013 11:32 AM

Re: If you consider yourself to be "minimalist"...is there anything you do stockpile?

We stockpile toilet paper, a year worth of toiletries and 10#s or so of rice. I forget we are out of them when we need them so I just started buying more at a time so it wouldn't be a constant inconvenience. Now it is only a couple of times a year that it can get crazy because I forgot to buy something.

FernHollow 01-16-2013 11:33 AM

We live in an old farmhouse and the kids rooms are up in the attic (they have no closets). We have no actual laundry room, only a stacked laundry set in the corner of a space between our door from our garage to basement bathroom. We have 3 floors in our house (attic, main level with the master bedroom, finished basement) so keeping the diapers on the main floor has worked well functionally, I am just so sick of the boxes! I even considered just buying the diapers weekly so I wouldn't have to deal with it but it is WAY more money that way.

tallanvor 01-16-2013 11:43 AM

Well, for us, thrifty is just as important as not having a lot of stuff around. I have a tall pantry that at one point was mostly full of home canned goods. I don't think that having a bunch of something that we use like that knocks me out of the minimilist category. I would look at diapers the same way. You will use them all, they are something that is needed, and if it saves you a bunch of money to buy them in bulk like that, go for it.

Do you have storage room under any beds? Perhaps you could store them there?

FernHollow 01-16-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallanvor (Post 16165775)
Well, for us, thrifty is just as important as not having a lot of stuff around. I have a tall pantry that at one point was mostly full of home canned goods. I don't think that having a bunch of something that we use like that knocks me out of the minimilist category. I would look at diapers the same way. You will use them all, they are something that is needed, and if it saves you a bunch of money to buy them in bulk like that, go for it.

Do you have storage room under any beds? Perhaps you could store them there?

I just realized I bet I can store the extra packages in my bottom dresser drawer. All my clothes can fit in my other drawer. I can just keep out a basket of whatever is in use and not have to deal with the big boxes. Duh. They come in a big box, but are individually packaged into the normal size packs inside.

ETA: I didn't mean that having stockpile of anything made you not a minimalist at all. I just know that many people that consider themselves minimalist do not store extras. It is so individual though. Like I said, I buy giant containers of the items we do use since we have a family of 7 and just minimized what I actually buy. I still buy the big bags of flour and rice at Costco and we still have a freezer full of pastured meat. I just no longer keep a closet full of "extras" in addition to whatever is in use. I just buy a big package of whatever we need and use it up. Then buy more. Much simpler that way and honestly we waste much less!

PoshPants 01-16-2013 11:52 AM

I think it depends on space you have and how great the deal was. A liter of high end shampoo then refilling the small bottle = much cheaper than buying a small bottle each time.

a good deal on paper towels/TP I buy extra, but I only have so much spare room.

I'll buy some food stuff we use all the time when it's on sale, but i don't go crazy like some do who would then fill a trolly.

badmisterkitty 01-16-2013 01:45 PM

We put up some shelves in the multi-purpose bathroom in the basement (the furnace, water heater and laundry are all crammed in there in addition to a full bath - it's not pretty, but it works). I keep all the extras down there. Being thrifty is more important to me than minimalism, so we do have some stock piles, though I am getting better at knowing sale cycles well enough that we don't need such large stockpiles as I've had in the past.

for the diapers, could you get an under the bed tote or box and shove them under there and put a week's worth in the kids' dresser? Or some other accessible, convenient drawer or basket?

FernHollow 01-16-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmisterkitty (Post 16166445)
for the diapers, could you get an under the bed tote or box and shove them under there and put a week's worth in the kids' dresser? Or some other accessible, convenient drawer or basket?

I did consider under the beds but the kids all have low IKEA bed frames so that wouldn't have worked well. Their dressers are tiny and also up in the attic, so it would have been lots of trips up and down the stairs to get diapers since he still gets changed 6-7x day. I swear this house has literally almost no storage, we literally have only 3 teeny tiny closets for the entire house for a family of 7. It was one of the things that kicked my desire to simplify into high gear. ;)

I ended up moving around my clothing (yay! for a simple wardrobe that fits easily in the top section of my dresser) and putting the extra packs of diapers and pullups in the bottom drawer of my dresser. :) I put a day's worth of diapers in my nightstand drawer along with the wipes and cream that were already in there. Again, it was great that my nightstand didn't have much in it and we already used it for storing the wipes and cream. We almost always change on my bed since it is right off the main living area so still keeping everything in the same room without having boxes stacked in the closet is much better.