Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTA - Trying To Avoid (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   More about Paraguard... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482170)

CM6755 01-16-2013 12:11 PM

More about Paraguard...

I am 8 1/2 weeks PP and ready to get some birth control on board! OB suggested Mirena or Paraguard. I got Mirena with ds1 4 years ago. My new LC said it was most likely the culprit of my milk supply decreasing. I also started getting ovarian cysts (which ruptured) most likely another sweet gift from Mirena. I am leaning towards the Paraguard copper IUD. I am concerned about the potential long and short term side effects, those of you who are knowledgeable about this either from having the device or being a medical professional of some sort, please help me learn about this...

TIA

abunchoflemons 01-16-2013 12:21 PM

Re: More about Paraguard...

Friend said it was fine. She liked that it didn't have hormones.....

FormallyMichele 01-16-2013 01:41 PM

I would strongly recommend using a back up form of contraception until you've been using it for a month or two. Although its very rare, it doesn't work for some women.

KandFsMomma 01-28-2013 03:33 PM

I've had paragard for just over a year, it's pretty great now, but the periods were killer for the first 10months. (TMI, but I'm talking super xtra duty tampon plus a serious pad for a few days, each period.)

firemommaof1 01-28-2013 04:34 PM

I was also just thinking of getting one of these. I like the no hormones but don't like the idea of bleeding to death lol.

KandFsMomma 01-28-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firemommaof1 (Post 16218197)
I was also just thinking of getting one of these. I like the no hormones but don't like the idea of bleeding to death lol.

:rofl:

It was worth it, but just barely. Seriously takes about a year to get used to it, and for the periods to chill out.

solobluedancer 01-28-2013 05:15 PM

Para guard nearly ruined my life. When an iud works out, life is great. But when it goes bad, it goes really bad. Please be completely informed of the risks. Don't let your OB brush off the risks like mine did.

FormallyMichele 01-29-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solobluedancer
Para guard nearly ruined my life. When an iud works out, life is great. But when it goes bad, it goes really bad. Please be completely informed of the risks. Don't let your OB brush off the risks like mine did.

I agree 100%

joeslittlewoman 01-29-2013 10:19 AM

I had a paraguard before we ever ttc. No side effects for me. Period may have been half a day longer, but were still relatively short. Cramps were the same as before bc (though I was still using disposable products which I later found make me crampy).

That said, as wonderful as it was I am still researching again before getting one. Between effectiveness, hubby's preference, and past success, I'll probably get one after this baby. I just need to research the risks further, especially considering I've had cesareans. I will not use hormonal bc, and hubby wants "more" than FAM this time around. If we didn't think we were done I would consider a diaphragm.

Hellga 01-29-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solobluedancer

Details? I'm considering having one inserted as soon as possible after this baby is born, and I'd like to know the possible bad stuff from someone who has btdt.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum