Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   4month boy night time peeing issues (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482271)

debsch 01-16-2013 04:06 PM

4month boy night time peeing issues

Hello all!
I've p/t ECed with my 4 month old boy for a few months now. He pees & poos in the toilet when he wakes up in the morning most days and occasionally I can get my act together to help him pee & poo after naps as well.

We also co-sleep. Recently he's been fussy at night. He will toss and turn and grumble but not fully wake up, because he doesn't want to, and if he does wake up at this time then he cries. If he wakes up without crying then he's ready to wake up. (Learnt that one about a month ago - so cute to see in the mornings!) (Sorry for rambling...)

So he tosses and turns and I find that his nappy (huggies - only at night) is practically DRY - it's like he's desperate to pee, but doesn't want to wake up to pee, and doesn't want to pee in his nappy. I tried the other night to take him to the toilet but he grumbled even more. What I end up doing is changing his DRY nappy and he pees in the new one straight away because the changing woke him up or he'll wake up crying then stop after he's peed.

(FORGOT to add, that up until a few nights ago we were down to using just one nappy per night (usually 7pm-7am-ish), with 2 or 3 sleepy feeds during the night, and a HUGE pee in the toilet in the morning upon waking.)

I just wish he would PEE and not fuss about it.

Any suggestions?

And has this got anything to do with the "4 month sleep regression" that I've heard about?

strongwoman 01-16-2013 04:17 PM

Re: 4month boy night time peeing issues

do you have a small potty by the bed? would be easier to hold him over that than going all the way to the toilet. that's all i can think of at the moment. i'm sure other mamas w more experience will chime in soon!

BinahYeteirah 01-17-2013 07:55 PM

Have you tried cueing him while he's wearing his diaper? If you use your cue sound and/or position in bed, maybe he will relax and go, but not fully wake up.

Mom2jandb 01-18-2013 10:47 PM

My 8mo was just like that at that age. And when she would pee it was just a little to take the edge off, not a full bladder release, so her struggles could go all night sometimes. Some nights she slept well and stayed dry, others we went through a stack of prefolds. Now she is finally okay with going in the potty at night again as long as we nurse at the same time. It will pass?

magwich 01-21-2013 10:45 AM

I second the suggestion of a little potty in/near the bed. If you go that route, I also recommend that you make or buy a potty sock because cold plastic on a sleepy tiny tush is not so nice.

redicccc 02-14-2013 07:28 AM

its really a big issue i am feeling with my child.......

redicccc 02-14-2013 07:28 AM

and still same probleam..

MtnHarmony 02-17-2013 01:23 PM

we bought a BBLP. I kept it upside down in a 5 gallon paint bucket beside the bed most of the time. Sometimes I put mircofiber or something inside the BBLP so that it wou;dn't splash so much, but the biggest thing was you have told hold the child just above the potty, aim him down, OR use something on the potty to keep it warmer. The cold can shock a child into peeing, or it can make them not pee and cry and fully wake up. It can vary. Mine would never go in his diaper, no matter what sound I made.

I also made sure there was a large felted, old, wool blanket under the sheets to help waterproof the bed, just in case I tipped over the potty, we sprinkled, etc. We never needed it but was nice not to stress about the mattress getting pee stink.

The BBLP use to fit nicely inside the bucket, I don't know if the design has changed or if other potties would be similar, but having wet bucket with 1-2 dirty dipes by the bed seemed to work best for us.

MtnHarmony 02-17-2013 01:27 PM

In order for us both to get more sleep, we used Long Tshirts, like one EC store sells, or split crotch fleece pants under a dipe. We rarely used sleepers (hated getting feet in and out so I often cut a hole in the fleece!) or other off the rack clothing. We sometimes used homemade woolies. It just depended upon whether I used a prefold, or fitted, or trainers, etc.

MtnHarmony 02-17-2013 01:34 PM

One positive note - my child NEVER wet the bed as a toddler, 4 yr old, etc. So if you can keep up the nighttime pottying, it will pay off, in my opinion. I never had to buy expensive trainers for a 2-6 yr old like many moms of boys. He was able to go on his own or hold it. Yes I know MANY kids who are 6 who use 2 pairs of disposable nighttime pants at night. They are fine during the day but can't hold it at night. BUT if you don't do it every night don't panic, rest is important for parents too. And then of course, when they get older they may refuse to potty during the day except in a diaper, lol... but those phases don't last forever either. You will end up being able to read your child better, have a child who can "pee" in a cup if ever needed for medica
l reasons, who is more independant, and you will save money to boot :)