Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Enable me...Boxers,Danes,Pitbulls,Bulldogs,etc (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482278)

coffeemama 01-16-2013 04:15 PM

Enable me...Boxers,Danes,Pitbulls,Bulldogs,etc

So I have gotten bad puppy fever lately even though I know it will be a year or so before we bring home a puppy (hopefully a rescue or shelter pup). I love the big tough looking dogs, NON SHEDDING (we have a beagle now and the shedding drives me bonkers), and a good family pet. I love dog theads on here so I thought I would ask what you mommas would recommend for this type of dog or other suggestions also but I prefer a medium to large size dog. Lets hear it:thumbsup:

stevensmom 01-16-2013 04:18 PM

Re: Enable me...Boxers,Danes,Pitbulls,Bulldogs,etc

with Boxer be prepared to be "boxed"...my grandpa has a playful boxer and he LOVES to jump up on his back paws and "hug" you :giggle2:

I guess this is pretty common with boxers, as my mom had them growing up and my parents had one when they were first married.

----

great danes, be prepared for health issues :(

----
pittbulls...they unfortunately get a bad rap :(

thtr4me 01-16-2013 04:20 PM

Great Danes are amazing dogs. But if you get an American bred dog, yes you are likely to have health issues and a relatively short life span. But seriously amazing and wonderful family dogs. Oh, and every one that my parents ever had, thought they were a lap dog!

coffeemama 01-16-2013 04:42 PM

DH travels for work and having 3 fairly littles ones part of the reason we are waiting to get one is so the kids are a little bigger and not quite as much work so we can make sure we have the time needed to keep a big dog as busy as possible and not ignored and end up w/ a naughty dog. Health issues are a concern of me as I am really tender hearted about dogs but, I am hoping to do the research and be ready for the perfect dog when it comes to live with us.

KrystleO_1027 01-16-2013 04:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We have 2 pitbulls. Yes they have a bad rep, but they can be amazing family dogs.

We have a 2 year old female (50lbs) and a 5 month old male (40 lbs, he's a beast).

We have never had an issue with them, other then the typical jumping/excitement with the puppy. They both LOVE my son and let him do anything to them. My son (almost 4) is regularly found sitting/laying on our female, or using one of them for a pillow on the couch.

They were both trained to be ok with people touching their food, taking toys and bones away from them etc. They have no problem with Liam touching their bones, being near them when they have food etc,

We also have 3 cats. They stay away from the dogs for the most part, the dogs want to play with them, not mean.

That being said, Pitbulls CAN have dog aggression (although so can other breeds) and it's an acceptable thing with pitbulls. My female is dog "selective." She isn't aggressive to all dogs. Many she gets along with just fine. She doesn't like small yippy dogs or very overpowering dominant dogs. She is the Alpha dog in our house and the puppy is slowly learning that.

BUt yes, amazing dogs.People think we are NUTS for having two of them with my son but anyone that meets them will understand why. They will attack you. With kisses!

Mama*Kim 01-16-2013 05:07 PM

We're on our second boxer and I'm not sure I could ever get another dog. Both of ours have been the sweetest dogs. The kids have climbed on them, teased them and snuggled in their beds with them. They've both been horrible shedders though, even with a lot of brushing.

Typos courtesy of my "smart" phone.

ETA: I'm also a big fan of pits, but until we buy a house, we won't consider one. Even though our current landlord is ok with them, I know most aren't. I would absolutely consider a pit when we're homeowners.

luvmygirls 01-16-2013 05:13 PM

Pit Bull! I rescued mine when he was 9 mos. from the pound. Went in saying "anything but a pit!". Left with a pit. Nine years later he is the LOVE of my life. Loves my six year old twins. He is my angel boy, submissive, loving, obedient and gentle.

GreenDahlia 01-16-2013 05:14 PM

We have a pit bull and she is amazing. Super sweet, calm, cuddly. Unfortunately, we get lots of negative comments and attention just because of her breed :yuck:

hilaryisinked 01-16-2013 05:17 PM

Love love love pitties! They are banned in all the military housing we've lived in unfortunately but my sister has had two, a dad and daughter pit bull, for 7 years and I just love them. So sweet and gentle with kids. Super loving. My other family and friends who have them are the same way. They all treat them as babies and are good owners for a breed that gets a bad rep. I've never met a mean pit bull but all the ones I know are in loving homes :) I absolutely adore them. My sister's are such bed hogs and big teddy bears.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

coffeemama 01-16-2013 07:07 PM

Those pictures are adorable Krystle! Thanks for sharing. I didnt realize the Boxer shed:cry:. After our beagle I cant do that again.