Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   I don't want to undo what progress we've made, but. . . (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482317)

Zoethink 01-16-2013 06:03 PM

I don't want to undo what progress we've made, but. . .

I don't want to be duped!

DS is 23 months old. I have never done any formal training with him, but he has had a potty for about a year and he has always been very interested in DH and I using the potty; we have an open door policy with DS. Here's what we have done:

We talk about pottying a lot!

A few months ago I started offering potty time in the mornings after bath, and DS usually sits for a while and sometimes he pees.

When it occurs to me, maybe once a week, after bath I will put DS in coverless fitteds, and then check him often and point out when he is dry, and change him right away when wet.

Within the last month I found a copy of "Once Upon A Potty" that I had squirreled away, and brought it out and started reading it to DS. He is super interested and has started telling me more often when he has to pee/ has already peed. He isn't always willing to sit on the potty at those times though, and I have not pushed him.

The trick is, he is most insistent on wanting to use the potty just after he has been put to bed. :\
I immediately instituted a pre-bed time potty time, but he usually doesn't actually pee at that time, and still says he has to/ has already gone once he gets into bed.:hairpull:

I am thinking it either has to do with timing (he does have a bed time bottle), OR relaxing into bed, OR wanting to stretch bedtime out (He has been testing everything these days). I don't want to encourage the latter, but I also found myself saying, "you already had a potty time. Now you have a night time diaper, and we can have a potty time in the morning". But I am not sure that is good either! I don't want to encourage bed wetting!

What should I do?

UVASahm 01-16-2013 06:22 PM

Re: I don't want to undo what progress we've made, but. . .

Does he pee when you put him on the potty after he goes to bed? If he does most of the time, I would say he actually has to potty. If he doesn't then he is absolutely trying to stretch it out. Maybe switch up the routine? After the bottle, maybe read a story and then offer the potty.

Zoethink 01-16-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVASahm (Post 16167783)
Does he pee when you put him on the potty after he goes to bed? If he does most of the time, I would say he actually has to potty. If he doesn't then he is absolutely trying to stretch it out. Maybe switch up the routine? After the bottle, maybe read a story and then offer the potty.

So, the first night he did actually pee when I put him on the potty again after he had already been in bed. I was totally surprised.

The second night, not at all. That is why I instituted the before bed potty time, so he would have no excuse. I actually think he is a little young to understand that idea, but then at least I would know I covered all my bases.

But I think you are right about changing up the routine; we could stand to have a bit more time between bottle and potty.

Thanks!

strongwoman 01-16-2013 09:02 PM

I would go full time diaper-less. I was doing the same thing with my DS3 at 18 months and got super frustrated because sometimes he would go and sometimes he wouldn't, plus I was 7 months preggers- ugh! I restarted at about 23.5 months, one day after reading "oh crap. Potty training". Totally helpful ebook that go me over hurdles I kept hitting. He is now 24 months and is full time out of diapers, even at night. Today was his first day without an accident-YAY! We have to wake him at night to go potty: pick him up, pull down the pants (commando-style), say go pee, put him back to bed. He still has accidents, but it's not a big deal. Main thing is that he's learning that he needs to go pee. I think it's great that you instituted a prebedtime potty routine. I like what PP said about reading a book and then going one last potty time. Anyway, here's to more pottying successes for you and DS!

LaurenAppenzeller 01-21-2013 06:46 PM

I just think you're doing great starting now I think sometimes people miss the window where its the easiest. I also think with their little bladders and no experience holding it if he has a full drink before bed he will have to potty after that pretty soon and will def never make it until morning. What we did was just put our DS on the potty throughout the day he was totally ok with it tho and we could tell when he was gonna poop and put him onthen he started telling us when he had to poop. He was all the way poop trained by 20 most maybe? Then right at 2 we were in disposables bc we didn't have a washer. anyway, we ran out of diapers and decided not to buy anymore and let him be naked (it was spring/summer tho) and pee outside whenever he had to and he didn't have many accidents after that but being at home most the time and asking him or just taking him without asking a lot and not buying anymore diapers. There were times we would be out on a walk and he had to pee in the grass somewhere their bodies have to get used to holding it and strengthen those muscles