Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Supply issues and exercise (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482360)

jessicawynnemacdonald 01-16-2013 09:46 PM

Supply issues and exercise

Hi ladies, wondering if I could get your advice. My daughter is 6 months old and I have been having some supply issues for about 2 months. I had lots and lot of milk to start, so much so that I was only feeding one side at a time.
This caused my supply to drop and it took a month of no weight gain to notice it (lactation consultant said she was probably hungry but sometimes contented babies won't fuss even when hungry?). Anyway, I've been pumping as much as I can after feedings and also getting up once in the night to pump since my daughter started sleeping 12 hours at night. I have also been taking fenugreek for 4 days but haven't noticed an increase in supply yet.
My question is this, i would really like to get back to exercising, which I haven't done since she was born. I gained 40 lbs during pregnancy and have lost 55 so I certainly am not trying to lose weight, I just feel weak and out of shape so id like to start moving again. I'm afraid if I burn any extra calories my supply will decrease even more. What do you guys think? Any suggestions on further boosting my supply are totally welcome too. Thanks!!

HeatherlovesCDs 01-16-2013 11:08 PM

Re: Supply issues and exercise

From someone who has struggled with my supply a lot, I wouldn't do anything intense. Just maybe some walking and light weight lifting. I wouldn't jump into running or classes or the like until your supply is back up to where you need it to be.

As for the fenugreek, are you taking enough? You need to take enough so that you smell like maple syrup. For me, that ends up being 6 pills 3x's a day. I started at 3 3x's a day and did not notice a change in supply till I was taking 6. I'm on my 6th baby and it took me till this baby to figure that out. I'd suggest taking more.

Good luck! I know how stressful and frustrating supply issues can be. :hugs:

jessicawynnemacdonald 01-17-2013 01:05 AM

Thanks HeatherlovesCDs! That is definitely the answer I was expecting re:exercise. I will stick to walking and things until my supply is better or I'm done breast feeding! As for the fenugreek, I am taking 2 pills 3x per day. I smelled like maple syrup by the second day but haven't noticed a difference in supply. I was planning to go to 3 pills 3x a day to see what happens.

jaelynsmommy61607 01-17-2013 01:09 AM

Are you eating enough calories? Add in some good fats peanuts, avocados...I'd start slowly also.

jessicawynnemacdonald 01-17-2013 01:14 AM

I suspect likely I'm not eating enough...although I'm doing better than I was before. I honestly don't know how anyone finds the time between the baby and the housework! Haha I need to keep some quick stuff on hand...making meals other than supper always seems to be last on my list! I have been eating avocado a lot because the baby loves it too but nuts are a great idea for a quick, high calorie snack. Thanks so much for the suggestion!