Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Help please! Possible Autistic and adhd (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482374)

mommy2kaitlyn 01-16-2013 10:27 PM

Help please! Possible Autistic and adhd

I hope this is in the right place. Today my DD and I saw a psychiatrist. My DD is being tested by a psychologist for Autism! The psychiatrist thinks she is high functioning Autistic and maybe ADHD also. This is based off my descriptions and watching her while we were there.
I am on my phone but can type them all out tomorrow.
Any good places to look for help? I was prepared for an ADHD diagnosis but not for this probability. Having a hard time.

Alisha sent using my Samsung Galaxy II that thinks it is smarter then me.

babynme8 01-17-2013 10:43 AM

Re: Help please! Possible Autistic and adhd

:hugs: I'm still in the process of getting a proper DX for my son but we currently have a DX of ADHD. When I first started looking into autism (they think DS may have PDD-NOS or asperger's) I bougt "The Autism Sourcebook" it is wonderful and recommends other books and websites. I also like "The Out of Sync Child" but my son also has some oral sensory issues. As for the ADHD I like help4adhd.org they have webiners that have been very helpful and other resources listed.

As odd as it may sound I was somewhat relieved to find out he has ADHD and may have other problems because I always felt like I was failing as a parent because he acted different and could not behave. Now that I know what he issuses are I can find a solution for us instead of blaming myself or him for his behaviors. Do not allow this to define your child.

Good Luck Mama!

luvsviola 01-17-2013 11:04 AM

Out of Sync Child is a great book.

Remember that it is just a label...she's the same kid she was last week. Sometimes I get caught up in DS's labels and forget that he is the same child he was before he had a ton of labels.

Make sure you have clear boundaries and rules, and are consistent with her. Write them down if it seems like it would help her. My Autistic students need routine, consistency, and do not do well with flexible schedules or change. Also, at breakfast, go through the schedule of the day with her so she knows what to expect. Most of my autistic kiddos don't do well with surprises.

This would also explain some of the other issues you've had...like the halloween costume and forgetfulness.

mommy2kaitlyn 01-17-2013 11:22 AM

Thank you both. The more I talk about it the more it does make sense. Consistency is hard right now with routine but I do tell her daily the plan. She usually asks a few times also.
I won't let this define her. I know she is the same kid. It is just hard for me to deal with. It is the realization that this will be a forever struggle that medicine won't help if she wanted to do medicine.
I have a little guilt of why didn't I see it. She is 10!!! The psychiatrist kind of hinted that she is at an emotional level of a 2year old, at times at least.
I will check those books out.

ralenth 01-17-2013 03:49 PM

I've been down that road. My oldest has Aspergers, ADHD, and anxiety. Just remember that the diagnosis doesn't change anything about your child, except help you get more help for them. She is exactly the same child she was yesterday. It's a scary diagnosis, and especially so if you weren't expecting it. Autism/Aspergers was first mentioned to us when my oldest was in 1st grade, by the special ed teachers at his school. It blew me away - my Mom works with autistic kids in a residential school, I had an idea in my head of what autism was, and no way could my son have that. Yup. Then I researched it, and realized he had all the major signs for Aspergers. Today I know that the diagnosis doesn't mean anything... it doesn't change him, it doesn't mean anything, except that it gets him help.

He's 11, and has started reading some of Temple Grandin's books. He looks up to her, and it's good for him to see someone who is much like himself as a role model. I've read two books by John Elder Robinson (also has Aspergers), and I found those really helpful. I'm not ready for my son to read those, yet. I've also read the out-of-sync child book. I also got a good therapist for DS. Someone he can really relate to and respect, and that helps him, too. Finding someone at school that understands him helps, too.

On medication. Medication isn't going to change the autism or the aspergers, but it can help with the adhd or the anxiety. It was a lifesaver for my son in terms of adhd. The right medication can still make a world of difference. And don't beat yourself up for missing this... i think I read that the average age a kids is diagnosed with aspergers is 8. 10 is not so far off.

mommy2kaitlyn 01-17-2013 10:32 PM

You are right, she is no different. Now I just understand her a slight bit more. I am thankful for the help we can get with us knowing how to help her. I know I have a ton to learn and we both have a long road a head but it is OK.
For me this came kind of out of left field. I am having a hard time dealing with the fact she will always struggle. I know less and less. It is still hard.
The psychiatrist said they can medicate for her tantrums and stuff. Ofcourse they can't medicate it all, like they can for ADHD.
I plan to hit the library tomorrow to look for the books.
Thank you! I feel all alone in this. Single mom with more SO. So came here for a sounding board.

cody82414 01-20-2013 04:03 AM

Look to Autism Speaks for their 100 Day Kit. It's free and has all sorts of information for those new to a diagnosis of ASD. And as others have said, the diagnosis doesn't change the sweetness of your child, but hopefully it will help to explain some of her behaviors and traits. It is in no way your fault or something you didn't do or did do! It just is.

Love on your girl as you normally would and continue to search for answers <3

cody82414 01-20-2013 04:03 AM

Look to Autism Speaks for their 100 Day Kit. It's free and has all sorts of information for those new to a diagnosis of ASD. And as others have said, the diagnosis doesn't change the sweetness of your child, but hopefully it will help to explain some of her behaviors and traits. It is in no way your fault or something you didn't do or did do! It just is.

Love on your girl as you normally would and continue to search for answers <3