Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Baby wearing in New York (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482456)

1healthylady 01-17-2013 08:36 AM

Baby wearing in New York

I'm going to visit my grandma in a couple months. I have a K'Tan and a Chicco Liteway stroller. I would love to leave the stroller behind since DH isn't travelling with me, but I'm afraid I'll regret not having a place to lay DD down on the day we go to the city to meet up with a friend. What would you do? DD will be 6 1/2 mos by then.

Ceebies 01-18-2013 01:41 PM

We brought only a SSC and left our stroller at home when we went to NYC (DD was around 8 months). Didn't regret it at all as the streets are packed and it's much easier to maneuver both the streets and the subway without a stroller. DD also napped and nursed in the carrier happily.

1healthylady 01-21-2013 06:10 PM

I hadn't thought of the maneuverability in subways and on streets too. Thanks for the reminder. :) What's an SSC?

From the phone.

kushie tushie 01-21-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1healthylady (Post 16188081)
I hadn't thought of the maneuverability in subways and on streets too. Thanks for the reminder. :) What's an SSC?

From the phone.

Soft structure carrier.
Unless your going to be visiting for a long time I would leave the stroller at home.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

MrsJax11 01-21-2013 10:33 PM

Re: Baby wearing in New York

I would have to agree. My ergo is great! LO sleeps the best when closest to mommy anyway :) and another bonus is that when your baby is strapped to your chest weird strangers are less likely to want/try to touch them. Even down here in FL people are always trying to get all up on my baby when she is in the stroller or carrier.

luvinmybaby! 01-31-2013 09:46 PM

Leave the stroller behind. If you want a break from wearing the baby, see if your friend would like to wear your baby, or if you want to put her down, carry a small baby blanket in the diaper bag and she can lay down on that (like if you go to Central Park or something). If you go to a restaurant, she would be old enough to sit up in a high chair by then I imagine.

Mellymel 02-01-2013 07:57 PM

The carrier does sound easier with how crowded it is there. Don't forget about weather. If it's cold you might need some sore of blanket for the carrier.

ummsmiley 02-02-2013 10:33 AM

A stroller in NYC is disasterous...def. wear the baby in a wrap or an ssc.

ummsmiley 02-02-2013 10:33 AM

A stroller in NYC is disasterous...def. wear the baby in a wrap or an ssc.

wasCarmel23 02-02-2013 07:48 PM

I would do a SSC! My almost 9 mo is almost 22 lbs and I wear him for hours and hours in our city. He is happier that way, and no stroller to push (empty) while carrying him.