Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Talk me out of selling everything... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482499)

Mysweetseven 01-17-2013 11:03 AM

Talk me out of selling everything...

We are looking at moving to a much smaller place sooner than we thought. I have a huge house still full of stuff!! My instinct is to try to sell it all but 1) how much is it really worth vs the time it takes to list, mail etc 2) if I just boxed it up and gave it away I could really spend much more time on my WAHM items to sell that would probably generate more money. I know these things yet I still am dragging my feet when I need to be getting it all done......:banghead::banghead:

Would someone please talk some sense into me. :goodvibes:

abunchoflemons 01-17-2013 11:07 AM

Re: Talk me out of selling everything...

Depends on item. Some go well & some not. Like what are you wanting to rid yourself of?

lemon.extract 01-17-2013 11:12 AM

maybe I shouldn't be posting but personally I hate having things, every chance I get I am getting rid of things.

But it definitely depends on the items. For example, my sister moved from UT to MA and her and her husband crunched some numbers and determined it was cheaper for them to sell all of their things instead of transporting it over. My BIL drove their car out with items in it and my sister flew out with their chlid.

loganzmama 01-17-2013 11:29 AM

Could you list & sell them in lots such as same size clothes in one lot, ect?

Mysweetseven 01-17-2013 11:47 AM

I don't have a problem giving the clothes away at all, the things I struggle with are the books we have used for homeschooling, craft items, fabric and toys. My thought was to sell the books to cover some of next years books and to sell the toys to get some toys that all the kids can play with, KWIM? I bought a fairy house right before Christmas and the boys aren't playing with it at all, that I will sell I know but what about things like blocks, movies etc?

I like the idea of selling things in lots.

NewMommy6111 01-17-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysweetseven (Post 16170620)
I don't have a problem giving the clothes away at all, the things I struggle with are the books we have used for homeschooling, craft items, fabric and toys. My thought was to sell the books to cover some of next years books and to sell the toys to get some toys that all the kids can play with, KWIM? I bought a fairy house right before Christmas and the boys aren't playing with it at all, that I will sell I know but what about things like blocks, movies etc?

I like the idea of selling things in lots.

Do you know any homeschooling mamas in need? That would make it a lot easier to donate the books.

tallanvor 01-17-2013 12:15 PM

Depending on how much the stuff is worth, if you donate, you can always get a tax write-off.

Try doing lots.

Or, depending on how you list it, you can do one listing on Craigslist for a large chunk of it. We moved from Alaska in April, but had an "indoor" yard sale in March. It was still too cold to sit out, even sitting in the garage with the door open, so I listed it as an indoor yard sale, had everything laid out together, and people just rang the bell and they would browse.

cherylchoo 01-17-2013 12:52 PM

My rule of thumb is that unless I would get a significant amount of money to sell it, I donate it. It just takes too much time otherwise, when you factor in taking pix, writing descriptions, answering emails and calls, no-shows and people who come and then try to haggle your firm price. So like the fairy house, I would do, but clothes and toys, no. Books...IDK if they'd be worth it unless you could sell a big lot of them, KWIM?

As for fabric, crafts, etc...pretty much any public school art program would love to have it. I gave away two whole shopping bags of yarn and fabric to a underfunded school last year in the spring, when they always run out of supplies, and they were so grateful.

yoga mamma 01-17-2013 01:57 PM

I'm going through a really similar dilemma ... I would love to get some $$$ for the stuff that I don't want anymore, but by the time I've gone through all the effort of posting and selling, my per hour profit is really negligible :blush:

I've found what works for me, is to attempt to sell it, see that it doesn't sell instantly (which is what I want to have happen, unrealistic I know!!) and then I just give it away!! Which I know makes no sense ... at all! But that seems to be my consistent process ...

I usually find that the things that I want to sell, are the things that I'm not quite ready to see go.

I'm not sure that I've been any help at all, but sometimes it's nice to know we're not the only one going through something! :goodvibes:

loganzmama 01-17-2013 02:21 PM

Is somewhere around you that you sell the books to for cash or for credit like a school supply store or homeschool type place?