Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   How many clothes do kids need?! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482562)

yoga mamma 01-17-2013 02:29 PM

How many clothes do kids need?!

The clothing stash for my three Little Ones has just gotten out of hand (both what they have in their day-to-day stuff, and in the stash of stuff I have for the future).

I really, really need to compress my collection, but I'm really curious ... how many clothes do you all have in your stash for each child/age?

TIA! :goodvibes:

xtin 01-17-2013 04:18 PM

Re: How many clothes do kids need?!

My 5 year old girl has 2 jeans, 8 leggings, 2 skirts, 2 shorts, 6 dresses (not including school uniforms)
3 year old girl has 1 jeans, 3 leggings, 5 skirts, 2 shorts, 6 dresses (hand me downs from 5 year old)
Newborn girl (due march) has a billion onesies, 5 sleepers, 1 skirt, no dresses or leggings, 5 baby legs.

~Laura~ 01-17-2013 07:27 PM

I keep clothes from my older son to pass down to my younger one. I go through the clothes and get rid of things that are faded, ripped, stained, etc. It ends up being about a dozen outfits and three pairs of PJ's for each season that get kept.

For my 5yo and 3yo boys:
8 pants/shorts
10 long/short-sleeved shirts

For my 8yo DD: (Not a minimal wardrobe, but much better than before.)
Colder Months-
6 Leggings
3 Pants
20 Shirts/Tunics (15 are short-sleeved and get paired with a cardigan)
4 Cardigans
2 Work Out Clothes (for dance/twirling)

Warmer Months-
6 Skirts and Bike Shorts
3 Shorts
15 Shirts

For all the kids:
4 PJ's
12 Socks/Undies
1 each Fleece Jacket, Winter Coat and Snow Pants
2 each knit gloves, waterproof gloves and clavas
1 each Rain Boots and Snow Boots

DD has two pair of Uggs, one pair of sneakers and one pair of maryjanes.
DS1 has one pair of Pumas. (He won't wear dress shoes.)
DS2 has a pair of Merrell's and a pair of Sperry's.

mamamarisa 01-17-2013 07:43 PM

Idk how many clothes you should have, ds is 2.5 and i do laundry every other day. He prob has 10 prs of pants and 15 or 20 shirts but he dirtys shirts like nobodys business and never wears pants unless i make him when we leave the house or go outside. We come close to running out of shirts and undies a lot. When he was a nb i put him in just onesies and he used 20 a day, literally, spit up, poo blowouts, pee leaks, babies are puddly. Ds has a box of "future" clothes, it has undie and sock packs i find clearanced super cheap(gymbo undies 80 cent, $1 old navy 12pk sock bags, etc), he is in 3ts and the box has 3ts and 4ts, some shorts and summery pjs from last summer, and some winter clothes he got that are too big. Oh he has 2 new bathing suits w rashguards for summer and swim classes. Compared to past years the box is empty, it shares my summer clothes and it isnt even stuffed. I would say our clothes are pretty minimal, but not barebone minimum

FernHollow 01-19-2013 01:45 PM

My kids each have 6 outfits, 6 pairs of pjs, 2 coats (one lightweight/one heavy), 2-3 pairs of shoes (including boots) and 1 outside "play" clothes that are not in regular rotation. The older 3 each have a couple extra pairs of undies too. This is all we have for this winter. I do laundry on Tues and Thurs and it works great. I do put a bib on my 17mo every time he eats so we rarely have to change his clothes after a meal. Their clothes are all mix and match so it never feels repetive and has greatly cut down on the laundry chaos. I'm much happier with quality rather than quantity.

I am totally looking forward to repeating the same simple plan for summer and having it fit into even less loads of laundry because they will take up less room. My wardrobe is similarly minimal and I haven't been happier in years with my clothing :D

hilaryisinked 01-19-2013 01:56 PM

My girls have 10 outfits each, the baby may have even less. This is enough without getting super bored with their clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Talia01 01-19-2013 08:06 PM

With my boys we have a super easy system of
10 tops, 5 bottoms, 2 pairs of shoes, 1 jacket, 1 hoodies, 1 hat, 7 socks/undies/pjs each. (22 FB OS for the baby)
I am starting to rebuild a wardrobe for myself since I am smaller than I have been in a decade. (yay but eeks $)
So I am aiming towards a similar system for myself. But I have a thing for shoes & bags....ugh it is tough for me to limit myself in those areas!!!!

mfergy0625 01-21-2013 08:07 AM

I aim for 10 outfits per kid, per season. My oldest DS does have more but he has a formal dress code for his school so he needs more collared shirts/khakis that my younger ones.

qsefthuko 01-21-2013 08:30 AM

I have decided compared to most mamas on here I am not really minimal but as a pp I aim for 10 outfits per child when younger. By 6-7 I reduce it to 5 pairs of jeans and 10 shirts, 4 new pj's a year. I forgot I also try to get 4-5 dress up outfits per child as we do use them. 1 pair of gym shoes, 1 pair of sandals, 1 pair of boots, 1 pair of rain boots, and 2 pairs of dress shoes. That does wind up being 6 pairs of footwear per child but each has a purpose and is used.

Mommy2Be08 01-21-2013 10:41 AM

Other than the baby stage where we seem to go through a ton of outfits from about 2t on I aim for:
-5-7 of each long sleeve shirts, pants, short sleeve shirts , shorts
- 7 pairs of socks
- 7 undies (but there may be more for potty training)
- I hoodie
- 1 coat
- set of swim shorts/shirt
- 3 pairs of pjs

More than that and they would never wear them all.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using DS Forum