Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Skinny Seats? Xterra (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482597)

sweetgrace 01-17-2013 03:14 PM

Skinny Seats? Xterra

Hi all! We will be needing to fit three carseats in our Nissan Xterra. I'm wondering if this is even possible. There is 54.5" available in that seat. We will have a just turned 5yo an almost 3.5yo and a nb in Sept. Does anybody have any idea what we can look for as far as car seats? I'm so lost on even what we are going to need. I'm thinking we need super small seats and also budget friendly is helpful. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Truckerswife 01-19-2013 07:24 AM

For a rear facing/forward facing seat look at a Diono Radian for a forward facing harnessed /booster seat look at a Harmony defender they are both very narrow for a newborn seat look at a Combi Coccoro it is the most narrow seat available but most kids outgrow it by 2

THBVsMama 01-20-2013 12:13 PM

Re: Skinny Seats? Xterra

The Harmony Defender 360 is only 17.5in wide. It's Walmart exlusive, so check the local Walmarts in your area.

AzulMariposa 01-20-2013 10:45 PM

I would get radians for the bigs and a cocorro for baby. When baby outgrows coccoro give baby the 5 yr olds radian and get a narrow bioster for oldest.

sweetgrace 01-21-2013 06:30 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you ladies!!! Now I have a starting place :) I really appriciate the help!

sweetgrace 01-21-2013 06:45 PM

Does it matter on the Radian if it is an RXT or R100? There is quite a price difference.

Truckerswife 02-21-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetgrace (Post 16188215)
Does it matter on the Radian if it is an RXT or R100? There is quite a price difference.

The r100 RF to 40 pounds and FF to 65 pounds the r120 & rxt RF to 45 pounds and FF to 80 pounds so if you have a child above average weight you may want a 120 or rxt for a average child a 100 will be fine. All 3 seats are the same size

rverrone11 02-21-2013 10:56 PM

Also, a R100 will last longer than a rxt because the head wings get in the way once the child gets taller. I just bought a R100 for my 5 year old and passed ours with head wings down to my 2.5 year old.

I had to get a 3 across in a Jetta, which has a small back seat. This is what we got to work: RFing Radian, FFing Radian, RFing Coccoro. Once my 5 year old outgrows the Radian, we are basically out of luck because I can't buckle her in a booster with 3 across...I can't get my hand in between the seats to reach the buckle.

Sooo...I would suggest keeping your 5 year old in a harness as long as possible to avoid that. :) A Radian or Harmony Defender 360 should work well.

an_aurora 02-22-2013 01:16 AM

What seats are they in now?

I wouldn't go buy all new seats; you have plenty of room in there and can likely do it without buying Radians.

sweetgrace 06-22-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by an_aurora (Post 16318732)
What seats are they in now?

I wouldn't go buy all new seats; you have plenty of room in there and can likely do it without buying Radians.

Oops, sorry I didn't see this question. We are still deciding on seats but are getting closer to 'D' day :)

My 4.5yo is in an Alpha Omega FF behind the passenger seat and my 3yo is in a Britax Roundabout 55 FF behind the drivers seat. Is it ok to put the newborn on the outside seats instead of in the middle?

ETA: We thought about maybe putting the 5yo in a booster and the two littles in a Radian but my son is probably not going to make the weight limit of 40lbs for a booster by September.