Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Supply decrease as the week progresses? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482651)

Van1300 01-17-2013 05:41 PM

Supply decrease as the week progresses?

Monday I pumped 16 oz in 3 sessions. It has been steadily going down each day and by Friday I pump only 12 oz. I pump three times a day for 15 minutes. My little guy is only eating 10-11 oz at day care, so I am freezing the rest. But I am curious if this happens to other people too? I know nursing exclusively on the breast all weekend helps boost supply. And I eat oatmeal every morning. I am just hoping my freezer stash will get me through....

Nerissa 01-18-2013 06:42 AM

Re: Supply decrease as the week progresses?

Are you getting enough sleep (for me I need at least 6 hours uninterupted most nights), drinking enough water? I know if I don't drink enough water one day or get enough sleep then my pumping amounts are a little less the next day. I get between 12 and 16oz during my 3 pumping sessions each day.

I eat a big bowl of oatmeal w/flax meal added every morning for breakfast (2c pyrex bowl) and try to refil my water glass 3 or 4 times before lunch. It is a 16oz glass.

I understand your fears. I have only made it to 6 and 7 months with the boys before I wasn't able to pump more than a few ounces at a time at work and it went down from there. I am doing everything I can so extend my nursing/pumping ablitlies this time around. Every week I don't take from my freezer stash is great. So far I am still adding to it.

Van1300 01-18-2013 08:17 AM

Sleep is OK. My son is 2 months old and cluster feeds at night, but usually sleeps a solid stretch between 10p and 2-3a and then wakes again around 5am. I get up for work at 6a so we cuddle and nurse that last hour most mornings.

Thanks for the reminder about water. I get busy sometimes and forget to refill. I made it to 9 months last time so I am hoping to get to that again or a bit longer with the pumping at work. I love my freezer and am trying to stockpile what I can now. :)

Nerissa 01-18-2013 09:48 AM

the water is hard for me. I do great when I have a bunch of office work to do but when I am out and about and then home on the weekends it is a struggle.

BESMama 01-18-2013 10:29 AM

What pump are you using? If you can afford to rent a hospital grade pump, I would switch to one. I had this problem with 2 of my kids and finally with the third I negotiated with work to let me work from home on Wednesdays which helped alot. However, I've heard the better the pump, the less likely you are to have this issue.

Good luck!

Van1300 01-18-2013 01:58 PM

I use a medela pump in style, so double electric. I used it with my first but got all new parts for this babe and it works fine.

I can't work from home so I'll just keep at it :)

ss456 01-18-2013 02:39 PM

Have you tried looking at pictures of your little guy while you pump? That seems to help me. (Or to look at him when I pump at home.). I tried fenugreek for awhile, but couldn't stand it. It made me sweaty and smelly, like maple syrup. Anyhow, I made some lactation cookies from a recipe online (contains a lot of flax seed, brewers yeast and oatmeal), and I think they're helping me. Maybe you could bring some to work to eat throughout the day?

Van1300 01-18-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss456 (Post 16176026)
Have you tried looking at pictures of your little guy while you pump? That seems to help me. (Or to look at him when I pump at home.). I tried fenugreek for awhile, but couldn't stand it. It made me sweaty and smelly, like maple syrup. Anyhow, I made some lactation cookies from a recipe online (contains a lot of flax seed, brewers yeast and oatmeal), and I think they're helping me. Maybe you could bring some to work to eat throughout the day?

I do have pictures and I even have a burp cloth that smells like him. :goodvibes:

I did find a pinterest recipe for lactation cookies. I should make up a batch!

WannaBeGreen2011 01-21-2013 11:10 AM

I find my supply decreases by the end of the week as well, so you're not alone. I drink plenty of water, gets lots of sleep, and am drowning in oatmeal. By the time Friday comes, my body is just ready to be done pumping. I pump 3x a day at work right now and nurse at home. I have plenty of milk while nursing at home but that last pump session on Friday afternoon at work always freaks me out that my milk supply has dried up suddenly. But as soon as I get home and baby can nurse for an hour I know I'm okay. Hopefully your milk evens out soon and you can pump a steady supply all week. I've been pumping for 9+ months and mine hasn't, but maybe yours will!

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.

mdm2137 01-22-2013 04:18 PM

This always happens to me too. I'm not sure why. I don't pump on the weekends so it makes me wonder if that has anything to do with it?