Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In April (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Tdap vaccine (pertussis/whooping cough)? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482769)

rverrone11 01-18-2013 12:16 AM

Tdap vaccine (pertussis/whooping cough)?

Has anyone had the tdap vaccine? Did your care provider suggest you get it?

I haven't gotten any vaccines in over 10 years, and my DDs aren't vaccinated. We don't do the flu vaccine either. I was just wondering about the pertussis vaccine, and trying to decide if I want to get it. I remember having whooping cough when I was about 11, and it was horrible.

Foxsma 01-18-2013 05:08 AM

Re: Tdap vaccine (pertussis/whooping cough)?

My doc suggested everyone around me get it when I was pregnant and I had it as soon as I had my son. We've been having a nasty outbreak of whooping cough in the nearby hospital, particularly in babies, so we didn't hesitate to get the vac.

TS8213 01-18-2013 05:12 AM

ddc

I didn't get it and my doc didn't push it. Just suggested I get it in the hossy after delivery. I don't plan on getting it then, either.

canadianbakers 01-18-2013 06:30 AM

I got it when I was young... and maybe got a booster or something in nursing school? Don't really remember.
None of the care providers I've had, with any of my pregnancies, has ever mentioned it to me - none of them have ever mentioned any vaxes, in fact.
If they did, I wouldn't be getting it anyways. I'm not comfortable with vaxes while pregnant. To be honest, I'm not totally comfortable with vaxes anyways, lol - not against them... but not totally comfortable with them either.

Foxsma 01-18-2013 07:07 AM

I know my dr wouldn't give it to me when I was pregnant. Just wanted everyone else around me to get it so my risk of exposure was lower. Like I said tho here we were having like a little outbreak so that could be why.

EmilytheStrange 01-18-2013 07:16 AM

I got it after DD was born. Was supposed to pass to her while nursing.

No one has mentioned it yet this time, but I don't think anyone mentioned it prior to DD being born either. Whooping cough was getting really bad a couple years ago, so I had no problem getting it then. Hadn't even thought about it this time.

E_Sage 01-18-2013 08:24 AM

It's good to prevent whooping cough from spreading around infants because it can be dangerous to them, but there are other vaccines to prevent worse diseases in the DTAPP vaccine. Whooping cough might have been miserable for you when you were 11, but diseases like tetanus (which is everywhere- other animals like horses get it all the time), and diphtheria are deadly. DTAPP is the most important vaccine for humans, and I think it's a great idea to talk to your doctor and your daughters' pedi about getting the DTAPP vaccine soon.

The Fancy Pansy 01-18-2013 08:51 AM

DDC - Yes! I did. My dr wasn't pushy at all, but did recommend it, and I wholeheartedly agreed on this one. We get whooping cough a lot here, partially because of a large illegal immigrant population, and we wanted to make sure everyone was vaccinated before LO comes. Pertussis is often deadly to infants. And just a few weeks ago, someone in my DH's office had it. Adults will get it and think it's just a cold, and easily spread it to children. We didn't want to take that chance.

mrsbesky 01-18-2013 09:05 AM

My dr's wanted me to get it when I was about 20-25 weeks preg. I refused, but said I would be willing at the hospital after shes born. I've had to many complications to risk putting something else in my system with out knowing my reaction to it. My kids run temps of 103 when they get it, I didn't want to run the chance of doing the same.

RunawayBunny 01-18-2013 09:12 AM

I have never had a doc mention it. Is this a booster or your first time getting it? I either had it as a child or when I first joined the Air Force.