Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is my 6 month old weaning? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482873)

jensmyname 01-18-2013 10:39 AM

Is my 6 month old weaning?

Need some mama wisdom!

My 6 month old just started to seem less interested in bf'ing. With introduction of solids, popping on and off to see this noise and that, super distracted by his chatterbox sister running around and making lots of interesting noise...he just hasn't had the same fierce interest as before.

I know that a slight decrease is expected at this age because of solids, but he use to eat both sides and nurse for about 10 minutes (he has always been super fast), now he nurses on only one side (usually) for only about 4 or 5 minutes. I have been pumping to keep my supply up, but i'm wondering if this is just going to be the norm.

Should I not be concerned and just allow him to do what is natural for him?

And just a little background. I did not EBF my first. I supplemented with formula even though I tried my very hardest to get her to EBF. Long story. But, then my supply was so sensitive that I am fearful of weaning too soon by losing my supply earlier than I want.

Any advice, wisdom, experience would be wonderful!

mibarra 01-18-2013 11:24 AM

Re: Is my 6 month old weaning?

If you have supply issues, I might keep pumping. You may have to offer more often, they are SUPER distractable. You might also find he starts waking more to nurse at night too.

earthmama7 01-18-2013 11:28 AM

No, I don't think he's weaning. What he is doing is totally normal for his age in my experience. They just become so curious with the world around that they are easily distracted. One thing I did was go into a quiet room when I nursed DS2 and let DS1 watch Sesame Street or something so DS2 could focus on eating. I know I know, TV is evil and all that, but it worked for us. Other than that I have always been a supply and demand kind of feeder. Your supply will go up and down depending on how much he wants/needs. I wouldn't worry too much about the pumping, by six months your supply is established.

urbanhomesteader 01-18-2013 11:58 AM

This is just the first onset of what I call "toddleritis"... Becoming more aware of what's going on, more distractible, more energetic, more interested in playing. Solids should not constitute any noticeable part of your LO's calories yet, though. His intake might not increase anymore, but it should not significantly decrease until at least 12 months. On the other hand, it will fluctuate somewhat as he goes in and out of growth spurts. Also, mine got much more efficient at nursing as he got older - better latch, stronger, and able to gulp it down faster.

Just give him a low-stimulus environment as much as possible, continue offering to nurse as often as you did in the past, and make sure he continues to put on weight over time. Don't try to make up the extra calories with solids, they do not provide the nutrition he needs. At worst case, he may try to make up for missed calories by nursing more at night when it is dark and quiet.

Mom2jandb 01-18-2013 10:18 PM

Not weaning. My 8mo is like that, and we don't even do any solids yet. I have to nurse her alone in her room if I want her to focus. When she tries to escape, usually a change in position works.

l_Kimmie_l 01-19-2013 07:02 AM

My son started to do that at 6 months old too. I have 2 toddler in the house that cause serious distraction. Several cats who love to lay on us while we nurse that have cool hair to pull. I just offered to nurse constantly. He nursed a lot and even at night. My supply stayed the same.

Now at 9 months he nurses on 1 side for 5 min and then is off to play again. I have a nursing necklace that has helped. He now kicks and moves all over and does baby acrobatics now. He is eating less frequently now than at 6 mos. So I understand your fear with losing your supply. I would just offer more often. If he only eats one side, offer the other in an hour. As they grow they tend to space out feedings more.

ChocoMeijin 01-20-2013 06:50 PM

I'd swaddle then nurse sometimes, that seemed to help.

mabelinoad 01-20-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2jandb (Post 16177665)
Not weaning. My 8mo is like that, and we don't even do any solids yet. I have to nurse her alone in her room if I want her to focus. When she tries to escape, usually a change in position works.

This. My 6 month old is super distracted. We haven't started solids yet and she pops off several times. A nursing necklace really helps keep her distracted. I also have two big let downs, one right away...and when that slows, she gets bored. Takes like 5min for the second, so i try to keep her on until that at least. It's hard!

jensmyname 01-23-2013 08:13 AM

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the replies. I am just paranoid and really want my supply to stay up! I will just let him be the boss. Thanks ladies!

mdm2137 01-24-2013 10:33 AM

My 6 month old does the same thing. I used to be able to nurse her anywhere. Now we need a quiet room.