Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   SOLVED! (Everything leaking at night!) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482983)

TrennaII 01-18-2013 03:57 PM

SOLVED! (Everything leaking at night!)

UPDATE ... Several nights now, what's working is 2GMD size small flats with the yellow stitching (the flats I mention below were from 2010 and smaller), and one of these nighttime doublers plus one of these large hemp doublers. I had to abandon my favorite fold below, and snappi it, in order to distribute some of the bulk around his hips, which also made him happier about the cover. It all goes under a Thirsties Duo size 2, pulled way up in the front so it curls back over the diaper, and then tuck his pajama shirt in - both prevent his pajama pant waistband from curling into the diaper. No leaks, and the diaper isn't completely saturated.

FWIW the "2010" GMD bleached flats weigh 60g and the newer unbleached small weighs 85g, so having two of the "New" smalls really added a lot of fabric.

It also fit under his jammies that were getting too small, so it didn't make the diaper butt that much bigger.

I'm still going to try some GAD hemp semi-fitteds, she's having a great sale.

Nothing like a sudden change in habits to make a veteran cloth user feel flummoxed...

I thought maybe it was just our worn out and smallish Flips, but even an up size to Thirsties Duo size 2 failed last night. With 2 flats and an overnight hemp doubler (all from GMD) no less.

I expect a lot of suggestions for fitteds, but I've been weighing those and find they have less fabric in them than then 2 flats alone. Also, using the flats (with the fold in my sig) keeps there from being any bulk at the hips. A beloved Dunk N Fluff fitted is being rejected because it's "ouchy" on his hips.

He also doesn't like the Thirsties cover, we fight getting him into a diaper lately, he doesn't like the feel.

I really can't spend a lot, and we don't use AIOs or microfiber if we can help it (I hate laundry drama).

He's 30 lbs, little waist bigger thighs.

Oh. And he also floods nighttime Huggies, though he prefers the way they feel.

vansen19 01-18-2013 04:19 PM

Re: Everything leaking at night!

i have say i love your choice of words : flummoxed.

maybe less liquids after 6/7? motherease sandy's large are gentle, soft and absorbent, maybe you can try a trade/swap and see if it works with your ds? half the time we use nighttime huggies upsized, and sz 2 hemp fitteds with bamboo or organic cotton flat/prefold, just depends on who is putting ds to bed. awaiting other mama's feedback!

sandhillcranes 01-18-2013 04:23 PM

Some people dont like doing this, but one thing that works really well for us is using a wool soaker OVER a pocket. You could try a wool soaker over the thirsties cover. It seems to catch all the leaks for us.

ss456 01-18-2013 04:40 PM

Are you sure fitteds wouldn't be the answer? Even if its less fabric, I think the fit around the legs makes a difference.

MothyrGrimm 01-18-2013 05:57 PM

Nothing worked for my ds, not fitteds, not disposables, not even a Freetime with a hemp and a bamboo insert. A heavy wetting tummy sleeper 15 months around 28 pounds and this has been working for a week now: a OS BG pocket stuffed with a hemp insert and a bamboo insert both wrapped inside of a prefold. :)

The BG is stay dry too so less rash problems for us too.

kirst 01-18-2013 07:16 PM

Well this is a disposible solution, but if he likes the Huggies and doesn't fight them, maybe try putting a hemp doubler or folded flat inside a Huggies to keep him from flooding it. I know that for awhile the only thing that held my son was an adult Poise pad inside a hemp fitted with wool cover.

I refuse to limit my son's fluid intake though because I just don't agree with that.

Lately I have been able to get 5 straight hours from a Large bamboo sandy's with two hemp doublers under wool, and I don't find one change a night too bad.

jills_mama 01-18-2013 07:17 PM

Have you tried a fleece cover? Not all fleece covers are thick enough or dense enough, but we've been recommending Sugar Peas for years and they are *awesome* for night time. They worked for me when everything else failed, even bg, all pockets, hemp/micro/bamboo insert combos, wool soakers. HTH!

kirst 01-18-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandhillcranes (Post 16176394)
Some people dont like doing this, but one thing that works really well for us is using a wool soaker OVER a pocket. You could try a wool soaker over the thirsties cover. It seems to catch all the leaks for us.

I used to be able to make this work, but then my LO started getting bad rashes and I think Trenna's son is prone to rashes too, so just watch out for that.

sandhillcranes 01-18-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirst (Post 16176994)
I used to be able to make this work, but then my LO started getting bad rashes and I think Trenna's son is prone to rashes too, so just watch out for that.

Yep. It adds heat. :thumbsup: Thats why I said some do not do it. My daughter leaks in sposies and pockets and we change her between 11 and 12 and she wakes at 5 or 6. My kids have both been heavy wetters and both have enormous liquid intakes :giggle:. I have tried everything. With DS we got to the point we were putting a dancing bears soaker (very heavy weight bulky fleece) over a disposable at night. With DD we usually only use the soaker for the long stretch but I am going to start trying the bamboo flats in her pockets and see how they do...I would love to ditch the soakers bc I am not a wool fan to begin with. I do live in florida, so Im not having to put thick jammies over the soaker, which does help..she is not prone to rashes.

cuddlebunny_24 01-18-2013 07:40 PM

I had this problem earlier this week and I thought that the issue was our hard water because I noticed that there was something different about it. My skin was dryer after showering and we had more water spots on dishes after washing them. I figured that my diapers needed stripped, so I did that and it did not help. I added the downy ball of vinegar to my wash routine again and my diapers have been fine ever since. If you have hard water I would definitely suggest the white vinegar because it acts as a natural water softener. The great thing about the downy ball is that it is added during the rinse cycle so it softens the water that you are rinsing with rather than washing with and then pulling the "hardness" of the water out of the diapers.