Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   what can I do for a cold? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483053)

gghmommy 01-18-2013 07:28 PM

what can I do for a cold?

I'm 36 weeks and have a cough due to some phlegm, it is so annoying to cough! Anyone have any tips? I'm drinking so much I probably should just learn to sleep while sitting on the potty! DD started this whole thing about a week ago and is definitely on the mend and thankfully she's spending a couple days with the grandparents to let me and DH sleep and get well rested! She's been waking a few times a night coughing and irritable until her drainage cleared enough to go back to sleep. Again, any tips? thanks ladies.

lovebabies 01-18-2013 11:15 PM

A spoon of honey mixed with slippery elm bark powder is like magic for coughs! Or even just honey alone can be very helpful. Honey and lemon juice in hot water to make "tea" is very soothing as well. Hope you get some relief! Being sick while preggo is awful! :( My midwife also told me straight robitussin was ok.

Mummandherboys 01-19-2013 09:20 AM

Re: what can I do for a cold?

I have dealt with the same thing recently! :( I am almost 36 weeks along as well. I was reading a bit of info on here and other mama's had suggested elderberry syrup as well as some elderberry tablets that are for cold/flu relief...purple box...forgetting the exact name...but they are at walgreens/etc.. anywhere I think. They have really helped me...especially during the night when sleep is hard to come by at this point anyway! Well wishes to you Mama! :)

RunawayBunny 01-19-2013 12:20 PM

Honey is actually a cough supressant (not sure how to spell that and spell check doesnt either). So I make the honey/lemon "tea" if I am laying down for a nap or sleep. I also take it if the cough is being unproductive and I just need a break from it. If that's the only symptom i have I just drink water. My current cold was bad enough I did take a dose of Robitussin for three nights so I could sleep. Unfortunately most of my colds turn into sinus infections and this one is no different. Luckily I dont get sick very often.

cinderella08 01-19-2013 03:58 PM

Cough/cold/flu prevention and healing - we use sambucus like it's going out of style. It's Elderberry and Echincea combo :)

ETA: They say it's GREAT tasting but my kiddos don't like it.... I make sambuco-jello! I mix 1/4c sambucus in any jello mix - they love it in black cherry!

Yarnjess 01-19-2013 04:03 PM

Garlic is a good antiviral/antibacterial, raw is more powerful than cooked. I second or third the elderberry recommendation. You can also mix some cinnamon in with honey and that's supposed to be good for boosting the immune system as well. Get as much rest as you can. Feel better!

abunchoflemons 01-19-2013 04:18 PM

Hot beverages. Hot showers. Cough drops vapor rub. humidifier

xoxoproverbs31 01-20-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinderella08
Cough/cold/flu prevention and healing - we use sambucus like it's going out of style. It's Elderberry and Echincea combo :)

ETA: They say it's GREAT tasting but my kiddos don't like it.... I make sambuco-jello! I mix 1/4c sambucus in any jello mix - they love it in black cherry!

I wasn't aware that Elderberry syrup was age to take during pregnancy?? I don't believe everything the FDA says or regulates but when it comes to sustaining another life, I am definitely over cautious with what input in my body...especially with all the herbs and whatnot that you gotta keep track of to make sure they ARE safe during pregnancy.

lovebabies 01-20-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoproverbs31

I wasn't aware that Elderberry syrup was age to take during pregnancy?? I don't believe everything the FDA says or regulates but when it comes to sustaining another life, I am definitely over cautious with what input in my body...especially with all the herbs and whatnot that you gotta keep track of to make sure they ARE safe during pregnancy.

My midwife says it's ok during pregnancy/nursing, and for babies as well. :)

sh0rtchica 01-20-2013 03:10 PM

I combined a few different recipes from Pinterest for coughs and colds and made an awesome tea that should be safe during pregnancy. I heated about 16oz of water and mixed in 1/4cup apple cider vinegar, a few TBSP of honey (2-3), and 1tsp cayenne pepper. There's a bit if a tingle and it doesn't taste great (add more honey if needed) but I swear it cured my sore throat and got rid of my congestion in just over a day. I did this once a day two days in a row. You can also throw in some lemon juice (I didn't have any on hand). Hope you feel better soon!