Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Teething and Tylenol... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483081)

essential1892 01-18-2013 09:22 PM

Teething and Tylenol...

My 15 month old is teething and is miserable at night. When I look in her mouth I see a couple back teeth coming in- you can see the teeth partially exposed and the gums still over the middle part of the tooth (ouch!).

I feel so bad for her but I am not someone who likes to jump and give my kids medicine and honestly, my first two kids breezed through teething with only needing a couple doses of Tylenol.

I have given my DD Tylenol for the past three nights and it has really helped her sleep but at the same time I hate having to give her it every night.

Did anyone else have to give Tylenol for their LO's to sleep comfortably?

Mara'sMommy 01-18-2013 09:25 PM

My dd1 was a rough teether and I found ibuprofen works better. I don't feel guilty. If my kids are in pain I help them relieve it.

essential1892 01-18-2013 09:29 PM

Re: Teething and Tylenol...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy (Post 16177483)
My dd1 was a rough teether and I found ibuprofen works better. I don't feel guilty. If my kids are in pain I help them relieve it.

Thanks!

I think I have ibuprofen in the medicine cabinet- I'll try it tomorrow night to see if it helps more.

Of course I would never withold medicine if it makes my child more comfortable- I think I am just thrown off my game because DD is so different form her older siblings. Talk about feeling like you know everything and them baby #3 come along and you are utterly clueless :loony:

Mara'sMommy 01-18-2013 09:43 PM

I know what you mean! I only have 2, and my dd2 is 4 months old and her behavior the last week has me totally stumped!
But anyway, I think the ibuprofen relieves swelling as well and generally works better. Good luck. My dd1 got an ear infection every time she got a tooth. Not fun!!!!

Michelle_M 01-18-2013 09:44 PM

My night time teething remedy, with all three boys... was to give a dose of Ibuprofen followed immediately by a dose of Hyland's Teething Tablets. The Ibuprofen works more long term, and the Teething Tablets will be more immediate, for a 1. 2. knock out. :)

A teething necklace will help too!!

God bless!

alsatia23 01-19-2013 05:24 AM

If my child was up all night miserable I'd probably give some tylenol if I knew it was teething. As it is my 16 month old has his bottom two molars swollen and pushing through, but he's sleeping through the night, so he hasn't been getting any tylenol.

I_run_with_scissors 01-19-2013 05:51 AM

i dont like giving meds either but if my child was in pain and unable to sleep i would do whatever they needed to be able to rest comfortably

momgoddesswife 01-19-2013 06:02 AM

Our little guy is 16 months and just got his two bottom teeth and is now getting his two top.

We use Ibuprofen occasionally when it seems like he's in a lot of pain but my #1 go to has been our Baltic Amber. He wears a necklace and a anklet 24/7 and it has REALLY helped. This is where we got ours

http://greenbabyclothingcompany.com/...hp?category=51

It really does work.

Mom2Connor 01-19-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_run_with_scissors
i dont like giving meds either but if my child was in pain and unable to sleep i would do whatever they needed to be able to rest comfortably

This. I gave it to DS as needed and it was a lifesaver.

l_Kimmie_l 01-19-2013 06:21 AM

I give ibuprofin for teething. It reduces swelling as an added bonus.