Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Bottle feeding to cure thrush? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483121)

Minniebees 01-19-2013 06:31 AM

Bottle feeding to cure thrush?

Has anyone bottle fed and let thrush cure itself on its own?

We've got thrush. :banghead: Ds isn't the best nurser anyway because he's hypotonic, but the thrush is making it much worse. Dh and I were talking about how to get me meds (never had any luck with gentian violet and dh says it doesn't work) since the Pharmacy is closed today, and he doesn't think urgent care will prescribe anything since ds doesn't have white spots in his mouth. We have no "in" with urgent care since dh works at a different hospital. He can get another Ped to give us the prescription, but we'd have to wait until Monday when the Pharmacy opens. We have to use a specific pharmacy.

So, dh was being a bit snotty, but he did say that ds does have an immune system and will cure thrush on his own. He gave me the "it's not like 100 years ago you two would have died of thrush" line. But it got me thinking. I have an OTC cream I can use for me. If I pump and bottle feed, maybe I could just wait for his body to get rid of it on its own. It might work better if we aren't passing it back and forth. Anyone do this?

abunchoflemons 01-19-2013 07:05 AM

Re: Bottle feeding to cure thrush?

Does tours take a bottle? I know someone said trying to bottle feed didn't work because baby wanted breast.

l_Kimmie_l 01-19-2013 07:06 AM

I have never done it. I probably would be too scared that baby would like hte bottle better and he would have to be on it a long while. I would get the gentian violet for now and use the cream on you. Just tough it out till Monday. I know it sucks, but I would be too scared to compromise my breastfeeding with an already compromised situation.

momma2gavin 01-19-2013 07:58 AM

Try coconut oil (it comes in a can and is a solid until heated). My friend's little guy has reoccuring thrush and she just puts coconut oil on her to help and let his cycle through. She doesn't wipe it off before she nurses and it has helped a ton. You can find it in the organic section of most grocery stores. HTH.

Minniebees 01-19-2013 08:21 AM

He does take a bottle. He was born premature, so we go back and forth with bottles and breast because of his weak nursing. Some days he seems to do better than others. I thought we were off the bottles finally since he went a week without one, but he had a rough few days, so we've been using a bottle when he isn't feeding well. I really don't want him admitted for not gaining enough weight. He was really feeding badly last night, even with a bottle, and his night diaper wasn't very wet this morning. He won't take his pacifier (it's good for preemies, it helps strengthen their suck), and he's been really fussy because he's hungry, but isn't eating well. I think his mouth hurts.

He doesn't have any real obvious signs of thrush, though. He clicks when he's nursing, and he's fussy, but that's about it. I have pain on one side, and a pink nipple on that side, but it's not real obvious on me, either. I know it's not a plugged duct or mastitis (BTDT), and it feels like when I had thrush with #3, but then I had itchy breasts and that needle pain feeling when feeding and this is a bit different. So I'm scratching my head a bit. Dh says with common things being common, it's probably thrush.

EmilytheStrange 01-20-2013 09:31 PM

I don't KNOW, but I don't see how it would really help?

DD's thrush lasted longer because I refused to trash my thrush milk that I pumped. There are ways you can google to get the thrush out with boiling, I believe, but it kills so many other things, I refused to do that too.

Does he have any yeasty signs in his private bits?

Anyways, thats all I've got, but I think you could do the same thing with a sanitized nipple shield as with a bottle. But it's also in the milk.

momma_dna 01-20-2013 09:48 PM

From what you described in your last post, you might not have thrush and might just have sore nipples and pain from a poor latch. Have you tried to see a LC or an LLL leader? Reason I ask us bc when DS was a newbie I swore we had thrush based on how my nipples looked and the pain I felt and DS had a rash on his bum but no spots in mouth. When I went to the Ped she said his rash was a normal diaper rash and not yeast. Also said that while my nipples looked like hamburger she suspected no thrush because of me not having any signs of a yeast infection either on my nipples or a vaginal infection which usually presents itself. She described his fussy feeding behavior as normal. As a first time mom, this was very reassuring to me. Eventually DS latch improved and things got better and less painful as his latch improved. I know you said your not a first time mom, but you did state he has no signs and your pain is different than with your previous LO which makes me wonder about his latch. Also, if you pump and give your expressed milk to you baby it won't do much good because if you do have thrush it will get on your pump parts and into your milk.

Minniebees 01-22-2013 07:40 AM

Everything seems to be better now. :dunno: I used the topical that dh bought for me (newborn, and especially preemie, feeding is kind of his thing since he's a NICU doc), and it seemed to have cleared it right up. Maybe it just wasn't bad yet. Ds is doing much better, too. When I had thrush with my third, it was much worse, and I ended up having to take the pill to clear it up. Maybe I just caught it faster this time? :dunno:

momma_dna 01-22-2013 09:48 AM

Glad all is getting better!

krismark0 04-09-2013 06:27 PM

Im kinda late to the party...but I just always use MotherLove Diaper Rash and Thrush cream for everything...diaper area, nipples, whatever. I had thrush with my first one and got a cream to clear it up but it was all mediciney so I started using that as kind of a preventative of sorts...and now like I said...I just use it for everything. Love it!