Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Mommy to be... I am very interested in cloth diapers. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483135)

helenae88 01-19-2013 09:06 AM

Mommy to be... I am very interested in cloth diapers.

Hello, I am new to this site. I am almost in my third trimester of pregnancy(first child). I am trying to do my research on cloth diapers, working mom's, breastfeeding, and organic materials. I would like any feedback. I have been watching youtube videos, looking at numerous of baby websites, trying to find out about all the different cloth diapers. Thank you.

famaza 01-19-2013 11:02 AM

Re: Mommy to be... I am very interested in cloth diapers.

:welcome:to DS!:thumbsup:

ElizasMommy606 01-19-2013 03:09 PM

I would suggest buying a little bit of everything, gently used. (A few prefolds/covers, fitteds, AIO, Pockets, AI2's, or hybrids like gDiapers or Flips.) This way, you can find out what works perfect for you and the little one, without spending a ton of money. The FSOT here has great deals!

kinderreruns 01-20-2013 12:15 AM

I have been diapering for 20 yrs both as a stay at home mother and other times full-time working mom. We have six children from 20 to 5 months - yes we are crazy. Good "better fit" prefolds with covers & doublers are still my favorite for easy and quick wash dry, multiple fits & long term durability. Currently I have a ton of covers, "stuff them" and have them stacked as though they are AIO or pockets. However, I love a good AIO, AI2 or pocket for on the go, Dad, sibblings, sitters and daycare. You mentioned working mother - many daycares do take cloth diapers, however, they want AIO, pockets etc not the prefolds. I would check with the daycare provider for requirements before purchasing. You will also need to send enough for most good daycares change the nappies every hour or so. I use to send 10-12 diapers a day to be safe. There are many AIO and pockets on the market that are not too spendy new (Kawaii - China, Babyland - China Smartipants- USA) let alone used. Like clothing, we often try a brand others loved that just did not work out for our child. (My old favorite AIO nappies are not working on my #6) We then get rid of these great nappies at a huge savings to the buyer. I agree with the other post - purchase a few different styles to see what works for you. I would do some snaps & velcro. My husband and children likes vecro for ease. I am just learning to like the snaps for the moble child. Cloth diapers is duable even for working parents, but like our cholths, just get enough for those crazy weeks we do not keep up with the laundry.....that even happens when I am not working!

kbz2002 01-20-2013 08:28 AM

:welcome:

MDever 01-20-2013 09:43 AM

:wave: Congrats on your baby! I am about to have my 5th baby and have been cloth diapering for 11 years. We are a natural fiber family who uses prefolds and wool primarily. Can I suggest you check out the Green Mountain Diaper website? It contains a wealth of information and the owner is a wonderful resource.

abunchoflemons 01-20-2013 02:09 PM

Congratulations. I have bee cloth diapering for about 1 yr & a half & counting 6months to 21 months now toddler. I have brachial plexus & love pockets. Nb size to 6 months not sure on cding front. LLL for breastfeeding & here. I went to school & had my oldest 8 yrs now of age. I think I youtube searched cloth diapers & found video of african gal that actually had all the types there & compared in at least 2 videos. It was great for me when I was looking into it.n can u find irl people too to. Talk to? I ddid & that helped.

Palooka 01-20-2013 02:56 PM

Hi there! I was in the same position as you a little over a year ago. I was pregnant with my first baby and knew I wanted to breastfeed, cloth diaper, babywear, all that jazz. My coworkers and family were pretty negative/amused when I was pregnant and told them my goals as a mom, they made everything sound so hard! I'm so happy that I found this website, the moms on here are always helpful and encouraging. All kinds of moms cloth diaper, breastfeed, babywear, etc. Some stay home, some wear power-suits, some wear power-suits at home. This is a great place to find support, because most of us have been there and you can totally do this!

:thumbsup:

mizzStephylynn 01-20-2013 09:07 PM

i suggest a video called cloth diapering 101, it's actually 7 videos but there's a LOT of information in there

ETA: that's on youtube, sorry

gzmendoza 01-22-2013 01:00 AM

Try different ones to see which you like then invest in the style you like!