Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Can i make a diaper waterproof /resistant? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483190)

Mheagan 01-19-2013 12:13 PM

Can i make a diaper waterproof /resistant?

I purchased a few gdiapers from here. I LOVE the fabric, and the fit, but HATE those plastic pouches.

I'm wondering if there is a way to use them without the pouch, and so DS dosent wet through , any ideas?

hilaryisinked 01-19-2013 12:53 PM

There is some kind of spray on waterproof stuff that covers like cotton Nikky have on them. I don't know what it is called though.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

kirst 01-19-2013 02:19 PM

Re: Can i make a diaper waterproof /resistant?

You could try those wool doublers. You could lanolinize and put them under the gcloth, or maybe even try sewing some felted wool to make them gathered at the sides, more like the pouch part, if you wanted that.

If you get an old 100% wool sweater and felt it enough, then you wouldn't even need to sew around the perimeter of it to keep it from unravelling....you can just cut it and have a no-sew waterproof layer.

Catbutt Diapers 01-19-2013 09:40 PM

Walmart in the camping/hunting section ask for the waterproof spray with the orange lid. It will take about 3 thick coats of it, and will be hand wash, but it will be water proof. OR you can look for old gDiapers, they used to be completely waterproof, with an extra layer of protection from the pouch.

TrennaII 01-20-2013 02:00 AM

I hated the nylon pouches too. My first thought was ... a shower cap ... they couldn't come up with something better than a shower cap?

If you sew it's super easy to make that pouch out of another material (wool, PUL, Windpro Fleece ...). The toughest part would be finding compatible snaps. You can search "sew a snail shell diaper", but basically you cut a rectangle with rounded corners and sew FOE all the way around.

In time I just got over it and came to love ours.

abunchoflemons 01-20-2013 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catbutt Diapers (Post 16181101)
Walmart in the camping/hunting section ask for the waterproof spray with the orange lid. It will take about 3 thick coats of it, and will be hand wash, but it will be water proof. OR you can look for old gDiapers, they used to be completely waterproof, with an extra layer of protection from the pouch.

Is that the spray I hear that works and not works even on other threads here? I was wondering this too as I wasn't sure if there was something for cracked PUL diapers to reseal them. some things I have read say no resealing and some say the spray works and some say no.

lynn97 01-20-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunchoflemons

Is that the spray I hear that works and not works even on other threads here? I was wondering this too as I wasn't sure if there was something for cracked PUL diapers to reseal them. some things I have read say no resealing and some say the spray works and some say no.

There are also a lot of questions re: the safety of the spray as it has some scary warnings on it. I would probably skip it for that reason but that is just me.

abunchoflemons 01-20-2013 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn97 (Post 16181608)
There are also a lot of questions re: the safety of the spray as it has some scary warnings on it. I would probably skip it for that reason but that is just me.

Thanks.