Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Birthday etiquette question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483334)

geez0pete 01-19-2013 07:57 PM

Birthday etiquette question

DD8 was invited to the birthday party of a classmate (not a close friend) that we RSVP'd to saying DD would be attending. However, on the day of the party DD wasn't feeling well and ended up not going. What do we do with the gift we bought? Have DD take it to school to give to her classmate or keep it and use for a future party since DD didn't attend this one?

cyanotype 01-19-2013 08:02 PM

I would still give it to her. We've done this before when unable to attend a bday party. DD is only 4.5 but we brought it to school and put it in the child's cubby.

Most likely nursing and typing. Please pardon any mistakes. :mrgreen:

EmilytheStrange 01-19-2013 09:08 PM

Either is fine. We had some last minute cancellations to DD's party. Two of them ended up getting the gift to us and the third said she would, but never did. I, of course, am fine with it.

Honestly, the gifts brought outside the party made me feel weird because I was less interested in the gifts than with just celebrating my daughters birthday. So, I dunno... I never would have cared if I never saw any gifts from people who had to cancel (or otherwise).

blackbirdmama*3 01-19-2013 09:20 PM

Re: Birthday etiquette question

If I buy a specific gift for that child I take it to their home or meet the parents somewhere. Our school wouldn't allow it being sent. I do like to go ahead and give it to the child because my kids almost always help pick it out and it means a lot for them to make sure the child gets the gift. This has happened a few times for us either from illness or us being unable to attend for various reasons.

raymark 01-19-2013 09:20 PM

I would still give the gift to the child.

luvsviola 01-19-2013 09:25 PM

If I bought something super unique or the friend is close, I'd give it anyway. For someone I've never even met the parents, I would keep the gift for the next party.

mibarra 01-19-2013 09:39 PM

Depends on what it was and how much trouble it would be to get it there for me, honestly. I never expect gifts from people who don't make it to the kiddos parties and they make me uncomfortable ;)

AbbieJack 01-19-2013 11:04 PM

I would still give it to the child that it was intended for.

EmsMom 01-20-2013 05:14 AM

We've never given a gift if our kids couldn't make the party, we've also never been given one by someone who couldn't come to ours.

I_run_with_scissors 01-20-2013 07:40 AM

i think either would be fine. If it was a close friend of your daughters i would suggest having the child over for a play date and giving the gift, but since its not i really wouldnt worry about getting it to her