Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Kindle Fire??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483362)

allisonmartin 01-19-2013 09:52 PM

Kindle Fire???

I'm getting ready to buy one, but was wondering if I should get any extras with it, since their cheaper when you buy them with the kindle fire. I'm gonna get the charger, but they also have...

Leather cover with stand-$34.99

Screen Protector-$25.00

Sleeve:Graphite-$19.99

Does anybody have these and really like them or they just something amazon tries to sell you that you don't really need? Also any other advice or tips for using the kindle? This will be my first smart gadget.:giggle2:

PailPowder 01-19-2013 10:06 PM

Re: Kindle Fire???

I bought these when I got mine:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i01

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00

I have to say I love the case. My kids play it a lot, and they drop it a lot, and the case has protected it really well.

somo_chickenlady 01-19-2013 10:12 PM

I only have a cover, which doesn't include a stand...and honestly most of the time when I'm using my Kindle I don't use it. I don't have any screen protectors, but I'm the only one that uses it, so it never gets scratched. If you have children that will be using it, I would probably get it. If you are the only one that will use it, I would skip all of the rest. I have a "Speck" cover, and it works well but there are some apps that only work in the horizontal mode, and that way with that cover (the way the charger access is), it just falls out of the cover that way!! I hate it!! So, I usually just end up taking it out of the cover when I have to use it horizontally...and honestly, I prefer to read when it is horizontal, so it is most of the time.

I wish I had a cover that I could use it horizontally and still use the cover. I would probably like it a lot more that way, but I have no idea what "generation" my Kindle Fire is, and I know for each one the covers fit a bit different. Is is one of the first ones, but I still have no clue.

PailPowder 01-19-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady (Post 16181190)
I only have a cover, which doesn't include a stand...and honestly most of the time when I'm using my Kindle I don't use it. I don't have any screen protectors, but I'm the only one that uses it, so it never gets scratched. If you have children that will be using it, I would probably get it. If you are the only one that will use it, I would skip all of the rest. I have a "Speck" cover, and it works well but there are some apps that only work in the horizontal mode, and that way with that cover (the way the charger access is), it just falls out of the cover that way!! I hate it!! So, I usually just end up taking it out of the cover when I have to use it horizontally...and honestly, I prefer to read when it is horizontal, so it is most of the time.

I wish I had a cover that I could use it horizontally and still use the cover. I would probably like it a lot more that way, but I have no idea what "generation" my Kindle Fire is, and I know for each one the covers fit a bit different. Is is one of the first ones, but I still have no clue.

The cover I linked snaps on to the Fire with cut outs for the speakers and charging cord. And my Fire is one of the first that came out. Bought it beginning of last year. So it would work for yours.

allisonmartin 01-19-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PailPowder (Post 16181171)
I bought these when I got mine:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i01

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00

I have to say I love the case. My kids play it a lot, and they drop it a lot, and the case has protected it really well.

Do you find the stylus really useful/handy to have? I really like that case too, the one they are offering for $34.99 is leather and I don't think I'd like it, plus it costs $5 more so I'm gonna go with the cheaper one.

allisonmartin 01-19-2013 10:31 PM

Oh and I guess the sleeve is just a zippered case/bag which is quite ugly. Lol. It helps to actually look at the stuff.:giggle2:

PailPowder 01-19-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allisonmartin (Post 16181243)
Do you find the stylus really useful/handy to have? I really like that case too, the one they are offering for $34.99 is leather and I don't think I'd like it, plus it costs $5 more so I'm gonna go with the cheaper one.

Well I used the stylus for games and stuff. For that it was nice, and prevented finger smudges. TBH dh got me a Galaxy Tab 2 for Xmas so he took over the Kindle and I hardly use it at all now, but he loves the pen. He uses it all the time. I only asked for the Galaxy b/c I am more an app person, and Google Play has way more free apps so for me it was the way to go. I have the Kindle app on it and read on that. But we like the Fire so much we're thinking of buying another for the kids to share b/c now that dh took it over he is being stingy :giggle:

allisonmartin 01-19-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PailPowder (Post 16181251)
Well I used the stylus for games and stuff. For that it was nice, and prevented finger smudges. TBH dh got me a Galaxy Tab 2 for Xmas so he took over the Kindle and I hardly use it at all now, but he loves the pen. He uses it all the time. I only asked for the Galaxy b/c I am more an app person, and Google Play has way more free apps so for me it was the way to go. I have the Kindle app on it and read on that. But we like the Fire so much we're thinking of buying another for the kids to share b/c now that dh took it over he is being stingy :giggle:

:giggle2: Yea I decided to go with a cheaper tablet first since it's my first and I don't know a whole lot about them. Just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for one yet, might get one in a couple years when I decide I need something "better".:giggle: Do you have the screen protector as well? It looks really nice, but I'm not sure if I want to add another $25 to my order.

PailPowder 01-19-2013 10:53 PM

No I don't have a screen protector on it. They get me mad. There's always an air pocket it mine and it bugs me to no end, so nope :) And the Fire is a good first tablet IMO. I really liked it, but like I said the app selection is "okay", but I needed more variety. Like my banking apps, local news, stuff like that.

allisonmartin 01-19-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PailPowder (Post 16181288)
No I don't have a screen protector on it. They get me mad. There's always an air pocket it mine and it bugs me to no end, so nope :) And the Fire is a good first tablet IMO. I really liked it, but like I said the app selection is "okay", but I needed more variety. Like my banking apps, local news, stuff like that.

Hmm, the one their offering with it for $25 says that you'll never get air pockets.:headscratch: Decisions, decisions.