Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Gah! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483375)

Arabesque 01-19-2013 10:27 PM

Gah!

BFing is really starting to wear on me. DD is almost 16 months, and constantly wants to nurse. As in I cannot be in the same room with her without her screaming for it. Any time I pick her up she starts "getting into position", and fights me if I say no.

Please tell me she'll grow out of this, it makes me want to just quit cold turkey.

AtLeast 01-19-2013 10:33 PM

I know this won't be popular with the child led weaning folks, but all my dc have done this at about the same age. They suddenly want to go back to newborn nursing schedule. So this is when we stop, cold turkey. It has never been difficult, extra cuddles and get really busy out and about for a day or two, always went really well for us.

Honestly, a nursing relationship has to work with both mom and baby. I'm usually ready to be done by 18m. I would never stop before a year, but I feel ok with 6months more.

l_Kimmie_l 01-20-2013 06:49 AM

Re: Gah!

I have never made it that far so have know real experience. I think I would allow every 3 hours, but that is it. I am used to that and more frequency though with my 9 month old.

gingerpeachee 01-20-2013 07:44 AM

Re: Gah!

Joey started refusing at 12 months and by 13 months there was no getting him on the breast so this is just what I do when he gets very clingy.... I snuggle him to pieces. When he wants to get down I keep holding him for an extra minute. I wonder if you interrupt her play every time you see her to put her to the breast if she would chill out a little. Partly it helps them to know that you really always are available (they don't have to keep checking) and partly it makes them come over when they really are 100% ready for cuddle down time.

Arabesque 01-20-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerpeachee
Joey started refusing at 12 months and by 13 months there was no getting him on the breast so this is just what I do when he gets very clingy.... I snuggle him to pieces. When he wants to get down I keep holding him for an extra minute. I wonder if you interrupt her play every time you see her to put her to the breast if she would chill out a little. Partly it helps them to know that you really always are available (they don't have to keep checking) and partly it makes them come over when they really are 100% ready for cuddle down time.

Maybe that's the problem, I'm not always available as I work full time. This behaviour did start after I was home over the holidays, so maybe she does just need the comfort more than anything.